why are musicians so freakin pigheaded

Diverdown

Im amazed at how thick some people can be , I play in a three piece irish type band and do 90 % of the singing , I have a band mate that seems to need to reintroduce the song after ive done my spiel and its driving me bonkers . You try to say something witty and build a rapore with your audience , make that connection and just when your getting set to count in this asshole reintroduces the song as if youve never spoken !
I always laughed at players I knew who were continuously having problems getting along thinking it cant be that hard but man some people make me wild
I try to be diplomatic and state that all of us should introduce our own material when we are singing lead but for some reason this dickhed dosent get it ,Please excuse my rant here but if I express it to him again Ill blow a gasket
Have you ever played with somene who must always be the focus the center
the spotlight?
aw shit this just makes somthing I love a drag\
thanks for listining
P

You're welcome for listening. Hang in there. The people problems are always the trickiest...

(Sorry no sage advice--just someone to agree with you!)

... You try to say something witty and build a rapore with your audience , make that connection and just when your getting set to count in this asshole reintroduces the song as if youve never spoken !
..I try to be diplomatic and state that all of us should introduce our own material when we are singing lead but for some reason this dickhed dosent get it ..

Looks like you've opened the subject with him- but haven't cut to the core yet? Can you get there with hin? (Sounds like there is a disconnect in the precieved rolls' at least -or worse. ;)
Is he opperating in a mode where he sees this as the 'normal roll he's filling?

It seems to me that one of the most important and under-rehearsed aspects of live performance is the banter.

I saw this band once called "The Goodyear Pimps". Their banter was really good. They built rapport with the audience and said some really funny stuff. Then about 6 months later I saw them again. Their banter was all but identical. That's when I realized that they practiced this stuff!
They had pre-set, memorized stage banter! It blew my mind. In retrospect, I realize that is is a really clever idea. If you don't rehearse, you'll either have nothing to say at all, or you'll run into the problem you describe, diverdown, where two+ members of the band have something to say, and they step all over each others' toes and lines.

It seems to me that one of the most important and under-rehearsed aspects of live performance is the banter.

I saw this band once called "The Goodyear Pimps". Their banter was really good. They built rapport with the audience and said some really funny stuff. Then about 6 months later I saw them again. Their banter was all but identical. That's when I realized that they practiced this stuff!
They had pre-set, memorized stage banter! It blew my mind. In retrospect, I realize that is is a really clever idea. If you don't rehearse, you'll either have nothing to say at all, or you'll run into the problem you describe, diverdown, where two+ members of the band have something to say, and they step all over each others' toes and lines.
Sometimes, it's an ego and control-freak thing. Did you form the band pretty much all together, or did one of you join much later than the other? Sometimes this creates problems. I joined an already successful band once, and I never felt that I fit in. There were a lot of private jokes between the other guys that I never got because it was "before my time", and they never went out of their way to make me feel that I was part of it (except the checks, of course). And there were times on stage where I was cutoff and times where I was intercepted going to the mic.

I left them and it was a huge weight off my shoulders that I wasn't even aware was there. Sometimes you have to really dig to find out what is causing this. Sometimes, it's right there for all to see, if they just look.

We did have band members joining later, but we were all friends beforehand. (not so much afterwards. Here's a tip: don't steal girlfriends from bandmates. It always ends poorly.)

It might have been an ego thing (we all wanted to talk), but if we'd figured out our banter beforehand, it would have at least looked smoother.:rolleyes:

They had pre-set, memorized stage banter! It blew my mind.

My mate's missus does the same thing. Every single night. For as long as we've known her, which is about three years now. This.

It gets kind-of a bit embarassing, especially when it's the same ten people at most of her gigs.

If you consider this to be your profession and someone in the band is not acting professionally then warn him and if he doesn't take heed get rid of him. There's no room for friendship in a band, you can enjoy good times together etc but when people start taking things less seriously than they should or consider their ego to be the most important thing then it's time for them to go. I've sacked band mates who were also my close friends & I've walked out of a band that I started entirely myself. I take what I do seriously, it's my job. If someone is hindering my progress that should really be aiding it then, bye bye time;)

We go by the "I have the mic, you'll listen to everything I have to say" rule. It just looks unprofessional when there are too many people talking.

Try this, although it would probably only work for one show before it would piss him off. Or maybe he'd take the hint! :D

what disgruntled-inc said :D and it'd be better if you could hook up a big "on air" red light to it aswell :p

Cheers fellas
All great suggestions and the mic switch would be a real laugh
Im not a man who enjoys confrontation and usualy try to be diplomatic in all instances but at our last practise became very "blunt about the situation"
and hopefully this will have cured the problem
thanks for the ear
DD

Seriously tho diver, it could be worse.. I was playing a show with a singer who musta ate all his LSD for dinner... He totally ignored the set list, intro'ed songs in the wrong order, which killed everything cuz the outro of one song was the intro to the next. Then he stopped and argued with the band for 30 seconds in between every song about it.. WAAY embarrassing....

Seriously tho diver, it could be worse.. I was playing a show with a singer who musta ate all his LSD for dinner... He totally ignored the set list, intro'ed songs in the wrong order, which killed everything cuz the outro of one song was the intro to the next. Then he stopped and argued with the band for 30 seconds in between every song about it.. WAAY embarrassing....

Singer......that says it all.

:D

Back