[SOLVED] Split live tracks for two mixing desks

svebbi

Hi all,

I am wondering what is the best way to achieve a setup where you split your on-stage source into two destinations. It could i.e. be the front desk as destination 1 and then a monitor desk as destination 2.

I am envisioning two scenarios:
1) Do a simple Y-split on the cables and then run a cable from the Y-split to each destination. However, I am concerned that i.e. phantom power coming from one desk would run into the second desk through the Y-split and either A) ruin the second desk or B) never reach the mic and thus ending up having a 'dead' condenser mic.
2) Send everything to desk X and from there on route through bus/aux/inserts to desk Y.

Any thoughts on this - or how have you been achieving this?

Thanks in advance

I use simple passive splits fairly regularly. It's more or less standard procedure. Only very rarely, really just with one particular old Harrison console, did phantom power from one console affect the other. It caused a pop from time to time on the Harrison. But it was so old and in a constant state of needing service that we called it the Harrisaurus.

Other than that it has not been a problem. I typically use the splits in the same room as the main console, not on a remote recording truck, so the power is essentially common to both consoles. If that were not the case then a transformer isolated split would be a good idea. Use phantom from one console, not both.

I use simple passive splits fairly regularly. It's more or less standard procedure. Only very rarely, really just with one particular old Harrison console, did phantom power from one console affect the other. It caused a pop from time to time on the Harrison. But it was so old and in a constant state of needing service that we called it the Harrisaurus.

Other than that it has not been a problem. I typically use the splits in the same room as the main console, not on a remote recording truck, so the power is essentially common to both consoles. If that were not the case then a transformer isolated split would be a good idea. Use phantom from one console, not both.

Great stuff!
I guess as long as I don't break anything I can do trial and error.
So far, I will go by one or a couple of the Behringer ULTRALINK MS8000 as it simply seems to do the trick.
Thanks again

I have a Rapco custom 16 channel splitter snake. It has a stage box and two 15 foot tails. It cost me over $400, but by the time you buy two of those Behringer boxes, cabling and a rack it's going to get pretty close to that. My splitter doesn't have transformers, but it does have ground lifts on every channel of the monitor tail.

Back