Solo Live Performance Recording Setup

bouldersoundguy

Recently I was hired to record a live concert by a solo acoustic artist. He accompanied his singing with a variety of stringed instruments using a single large diaphragm mic. I recorded five tracks: the LDC mic, my AT822 stereo mic and a pair of PZM boundary mics. I used one of my 16-channel XLR splitter snakes to split the LDC to the house system and to my Soundcraft GB2R mixer. I recorded on an Alesis HD24. Here's what it looked like.

Live Recording Setup 1.jpg

Live Recording Setup 2.jpg

That sounds like an interesting performance.

How did the recording come out? Any preference on the AT822 vs the PZMs for the stereo image?

That sounds like an interesting performance.

How did the recording come out? Any preference on the AT822 vs the PZMs for the stereo image?

I just had the first listen today, almost a week after the event. I think it sounds really good. I'm not sure how best to use the room mics. I'm thinking of processing one pair into a surround channel. Then again, I'll probably be turning the mixing job over to a colleague, so it's not directly up to me.

The performance is extremely dynamic. I managed to set the gains properly and just avoided clipping on the main track by 0.6dB. That may be the biggest challenge, getting it all to sound full on the quiet parts without overloading the loud parts or making it sound too compressed.

Here's a view from my spot in the wings.

DSCF1022.JPG

Back