Running FOH..delay from backline to mains.

timboZ

Anybody ever delay the mains to compensate from the back-line/stage.
The back-line is only about 11 feet behind the mains. aprox 11ms.
Would it be something to consider?

I actually have no clue as to what you are talking about, but is this something like getting the sound to someones ears in time, with the monitors 11 feet different, front to back?

I guess it depends on what your running through the mains. If the answer is everything, then I would delay it.

That or speed up the backline.

I've done it plenty of times, and it can be a very effective tool. It's definitely a "try it out and see" thing for me, I can't tell by looking what's going to be best. Starting with a delay equal to the backline seems reasonable, then try shorter or even longer if the drum fill is behind the drummer. Sometimes I end up delaying to the monitors or some reflection they are throwing off, or it turns out to be some odd distance halfway, or even none. I don't have SIA SMaart Live, so it's going to be guesswork for me for awhile longer!!

And don't obsess about it too much, because it's only going to be effective from where you are listening. It can't be perfectly dealyed everywhere.

As far as delay goes, if you are running biamped, definitely experiment with delaying your tops to your subs. It can make a world of difference.

Back