Recent Live Rehearsal Recording

bouldersoundguy

I recorded this live at my friend's home studio during a rehearsal and mixed it in my living room. It's a cover of a song done by a band called Monarchs.

[Edit] I just tweaked the mix a bit and updated the link.

[Edit] I've taken this down as I look into getting the appropriate permissions to release it legitimately.

And it's back:

Last edited:
[Edit] I've taken this down as I look into getting the appropriate permissions to release it legitimately.

My understanding is that if you are releasing it for no profit you can post it. If you are receiving any payment at all for the song you need to get a permission and pay the royalty.

Alan.

My understanding is that if you are releasing it for no profit you can post it. If you are receiving any payment at all for the song you need to get a permission and pay the royalty.

Alan.

Could be, but I do want to release it commercially. Anyway, I'll put it back up with downloads disabled.

I took the permissions query to mean permission from the artists to put their work out there. As the recordist/engineer, you have rights in that part of the product, but of course they have rights in their performance and maybe from the composer/writers perspective. It's always grief when you want to post stuff online that could, at some point be a commercial product.

I took the permissions query to mean permission from the artists to put their work out there. As the recordist/engineer, you have rights in that part of the product, but of course they have rights in their performance and maybe from the composer/writers perspective. It's always grief when you want to post stuff online that could, at some point be a commercial product.

I have permission from the performer and I'm in contact with the writer's rights management person. This is an unusual case that HFA isn't handling permissions so I had to track down the right person to talk to.

I've been working on a project that's taxed me to the limits with the quantity of performers involved. Some signed and some not - it's been a nightmare but I got the final permission through today so we can start selling the material. close thing, though. I'm just starting on the next one that features a number of performers, with a band. The performers and their production company are the clients - production company first, then the singers - however, I'm left with what to do with the band. Somebody needs to negotiate with them, and the production company believe that as they are providing them work, then they 'own' the rights, but the band equally believe that their performance is theirs - I can see this one being messy. I'm trying for a straight buyout - a fee for the recording and a fee for the editing but then a total handover of rights in the project. Gets me out of trouble.

It seems that if the project is intended from the start to be a commercial product someone would address all of that up front. This recording was done during a rehearsal session with no expectation of releasing it, so there was little reason to plan ahead. It came out good enough that I felt like putting it out, and I think they might record it properly in the near future. Having the writer's permission should cover any version we put out.

OK I got it slightly wrong, you do need a licence to release the material. The reason I got it slightly wrong is that I have released cover material within an album of original material, I obtained a license and paid a fee, however there is a royalty to pay per copy but you don't pay the royalty on promotional copies that have not been exchanged for money. There is a small fee for the licence up front but if you post it for free there are no further money to pay.

You may want to check this as this is the deal in Australia, and I am not sure of the internet requirements. I would think that if you posted on the internet but not for download the promotional thing should apply.

Alan.

OK I got it slightly wrong, you do need a licence to release the material. The reason I got it slightly wrong is that I have released cover material within an album of original material, I obtained a license and paid a fee, however there is a royalty to pay per copy but you don't pay the royalty on promotional copies that have not been exchanged for money. There is a small fee for the licence up front but if you post it for free there are no further money to pay.

You may want to check this as this is the deal in Australia, and I am not sure of the internet requirements. I would think that if you posted on the internet but not for download the promotional thing should apply.

Alan.

In the States one can normally go through Harry Fox Agency directly or through Songfile to get licensing. I did it for another song that's a medley of one of the band's originals and "I Just Wanna Have Fun" sung and co-written by Sheryl Crow. But permission for this cover wasn't available through HFA so I had to contact her management directly. When going through Songfile there are separate stream and download licenses, and they ask for an estimate of the numbers for the next year. I believe you can update the license agreement to account for more streams or downloads than expected. There's a third category, mechanical licensing, for video. It's on a separate site.

I’ve used Easy Song Licensing to obtain a cover license just for streaming (only). Your biggest expense will be the base charge of around $20 (?). Current 15% off with SUMMER15 code.

Of course, most people don’t bother in SC I suspect and if I’m just posting something for review (and then taking it down) I’m not paying a license fee either.

I do disable downloads for covers because then you should pay a higher license fee.

Back