noob question...sorry (...but should only take 10 seconds to answer!)

herzog31

i have a radio show at bard college (wxbc.bard.edu) and tried to record my radio show directly onto my computer. i used audio hijack pro to capture the station's streaming audio from itunes. the problem was i was also using my computer to play the music. the result was the show's sound with another softer layer of sound following at a 20 second delay underneath. annoying...
so i'm playing music from the same computer (ibook) i'm recording my show to. i see why this is a problem but i'm wondering if there is a solution. anyway i hope this was explained clearly enough and i appreciate any responses!

Please explain the problem again,..... from your description,.... it sounds like you are having some kind of delay problems,.... is that right,...??

you will have to go into a bit more of an explaination if you want anyone to help you

another softer layer of sound,....????? do you mean an echo..??

or duplicate sound,...??

This could be from a mic still being on while you are listening to the download,.... creating a delayed second recording.....

Please explain further...

Steve

and Bard college is where,...???

that wouldn't be in NY now would it,...??

like just across from Kingston.....

I used to live over there,.... moved here ( just south of Lake George) in 1976,....

so, a fellow New Yorker,.....

at least for the school year......

More info dude,.... need more input,.....

Steve

Hi Steve, sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, THAT Bard College...so yeah, I'll try to be more specific about what was happening. There is one jack that the dj can plug into his/her computer or ipod or whatever to play music from that. I was playing music off of my ibook with this. At the same time, I was streaming the radio station onto my computer from the website, which opened itunes to play it. I opened Audio Hijack Pro and tried to record this incoming sound. As I listened in the station headphones, which tell you exactly how it sounds on air, I heard a delay (echo?duplicate sound?) of about 20 seconds. When I tested this with the mic it was confirmed. Everything I said was also repeated 20 seconds later. The music delay doesn't make sense to me, because audio hijack pro is only supposed to hijack the specific application. I don't think the mic was picking any sound from the computer up, because the computer was completely silent, if I recall correctly. Is that clearer? Thanks for your patience. I was just wondering if there is a very obvious way to get a clean digital recording using the same computer that you are playing music from?

recording with the same machine you are playing the music on,..... ????

at the same time,...???

sounds to me like you are experiencing a delay from the broadcasting to the recieving of the same signal.....

sometimes just going thru the process of broadcasting the signal,..... and then trying to recieve the same signal,.... you are not going to get instantanious recording of that signal,.....

If you already HAVE the music, and are broadcasting it,.... why do you need to record it again,....???

This same thing occurs on an analog tape deck .... trying to monitor the signal you are recording, the delay is caused by the distance between the record and play heads on the machine,.... slight, but there,... your situation
altho different could be the same thing,....broadcasting a signal, which goes thru all the necessary gear, then out over the airwaves,.. then back to you via a transmitted signal, and back to the same machine that is doing the broadcast,..... hence,... a slight delay,.....

At least from your description, that's my take on it....

Hope that helps,..... but I still don't know why you want to record it if you already have it,..... other than for quality checking or something,....

Steve

by the way,..... Jamfest is not that far from Bard, if you come back from your summer break a tad early,...... !!!!!!!

Aug 11th-13th in Andover,CT
follow the threads....

this is taking more than 10 minutes to answer :o

If you already HAVE the music, and are broadcasting it,.... why do you need to record it again,....???

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The show is primarily an interview show and I'd like to record my voice, the music is an extra element.

There are headphones provided by the studio that tell me what exactly is being heard on the air. I hear a delay there, so I assume if I am getting a delay (if that' what it is) through these, whatever I am recording in the stream will also have this problem.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is recording onto tape and then transferring it onto my ibook later...though i don't know how to do this either, but could probably figure it out.

if you want to call me my number is three zero two + nine eight three + five seven four zero... but i'm fine if you want to let this question die...

Back