NFL headsets

Does anyone know the logistics of how plays are called into quarterbacks during a game, like, does the signal cut off before the start of the play or something. I would think it would have to so the coach doesn't warn of an impending sack, or the like. Just curious!

ez_willis said:
Does anyone know the logistics of how plays are called into quarterbacks during a game, like, does the signal cut off before the start of the play or something. I would think it would have to so the coach doesn't warn of an impending sack, or the like. Just curious!

Interesting question. I didn't know they used headsets now.

Did a little research.

It is cut off at the 15 second mark of the play clock, but I do not know how.
I also do not know if that means before or after the snap. :confused:

boingoman said:
Interesting question. I didn't know they used headsets now.

Did a little research.

It is cut off at the 15 second mark of the play clock, but I do not know how.
I also do not know if that means before or after the snap. :confused:

I think it would have to before the snap, because most plays don't last 15 seconds.

Couple more questions-

1. How is the cutoff accomplished?
2. How is it regulated, to prevent home field advantage from factoring in?
3. How is it secured, so the opposing team doesn't hack the signal?

ez_willis said:
I think it would have to before the snap, because most plays don't last 15 seconds.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I don't know enough about football.

ez_willis said:
Couple more questions-

1. How is the cutoff accomplished?
2. How is it regulated, to prevent home field advantage from factoring in?
3. How is it secured, so the opposing team doesn't hack the signal?

1. I imagine the coach's transmitters are all patched into the same board, and they pay some dude $30,000 a year to do nothing but press the "off" button.

2&3. I have no idea, but now I've got this image from "Enemy of the State" in my head, a bunch of geeks in a dark room trying to hack the other team's plays. :)

Thanks- I learned something.

ez_willis said:

LOL... very interesting question indeed!

I use to know this. I think the headsets cut off so many seconds into the 25 second play clock. I would imagine somewhere between the 10-15 second mark. It could possibly when the offense breaks the huddle but I don't think so, I think it's relative to the 25 second play clock.

Yep, the channel stays open until 15 seconds remain on the play clock. That's pretty much what I thought.

if anybody is interested in the techniques used...i did a couple of seizons the broadcast (audiopart) for the nfl european division. I personally had to mic up the quarterbacks, the umpire etc...I know all about the intercoms used by the teams, the analists etc..

I also did the worldbowl broadcasts

Back