New Member Concert

GoMano

Hi
I hope it's not inappropriate to post this here - I'm very new, and absolutely love this forum..

Anyway - For those of you who live in or near Los Angeles, I used to play with Bill Ward (Sabbath) Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (I did one album with Frank as a close freind - not becauseI was in the band) and The RH Factor. The later band had a moderate radio hit called "Life's A Bitch" which stil gets played now & then (it taught me the importance of keeping your publishing :-)

I have a new band called "Peace Machine", and we'll be playing Saturday, Feb. 14th at Sacred Grounds in San Pedro at around 8:00 PM.

So if you dig very heavy Hendrix-ish, Trower-ish, Mahogany Rush-ish mostly instrumental guitar crazy music - come down! I'd love to meet you! We're also recording the show (as we always do) on a Yamaha AW2816 - believe it or not, it sounds amazing - it's a great little box.

I hope if you are close you try to make it down!

It's been a few years since I've done a drive-by in this hood, but I used to live very close to this venue and remember quite distinctly that the neighborhood in question wasn't the best place to be at night without a machine gun.

What's it like these days?

Attachments

• salty_coffee_house.jpg
    salty_coffee_house.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 109
You know, I have no idea; I don't even know where it is! I do remember playing at a place called "Dancing Waters" in San Pedro when I was playing with Bill Ward, and Ozzy was with us that night, and when he came onstage he pee'd in that waterfall behind the stage - I almost pee'd myself from laughing so hard - non of us could play for a few seconds - it was really funny - but anyway, I remember THAT neighborhood being pretty rowdy. I remember playing a club called "Harpos" in Detriot once that was like that too -it was so bad that the pizza place across the street gave you your pizza under a steel cage, then you'd bolt back across the street to the backstage door!

Oh, this rock n roll business!

But cruise anyway man! It will be a killer gig (no pun intended :-)

GoMano said:
I used to play with ......Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (I did one album with Frank as a close freind - not because I was in the band)...

That guy sux:eek: :D ;)

lol... If I was on the other coast I'd be there in a flash, brother!

BTW FMMR dude -

There exists a really great FMMR Webpage - the guy is a FMMR fan and has a great site. He and I haven't seen eye to eye always , but I can't deny he has created a wonderful place for fans to get their fill, and he's a very funny comic / producer to boot. - He funded a tribute album of sorts -Frank told me that it was done, but I don't know what it's actual status is...I know for sure Ronnie Montrose is on it because he got some lyrics from me, and I heard there are all kinds of major players like Steve Vai on it.

Anyway - thought you might like the site if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited:
So? Where is the link?

I have a feeling you and FM, our resident Super Duper Jamfest Host have a lot in common!

:D

Oh- BTW- are you Rob H. that sat in on a track on "From the Hip"?

drstawl said:
So? Where is the link?

I have a feeling you and FM, our resident Super Duper Jamfest Host have a lot in common!

Oh- BTW- are you Rob H. that sat in on a track on "From the Hip"?

That's me - but I swear to god dude - I solo'd on that tune "Ride My Own Wave" -someone put that I played rhythm guitar in the mid-section, when in fact that's totally inaccurate. There are two "From The Hip" covers, and one has the corrected liner notes - but it's hard to find I've heard. Anyway- Frank & I passed the guitar back & forth during that middle solo (when we weren't cracking up - it was a very hilarious couple of nights during that session) , and he (amazingly) editied our solo's together. If you listen carefully, where it gets very legato - that's me. Frank is absolutely a genius when it comes to editing - in fact, he created from scratch using soundchecks and other sounds on his HD, an ending to a song on this new live album about to come out, and did like 2,000 edits, and you can't tell either. Positively insane.
But like I said - I only played as friend - I was never in that band (my drummer of 15 years was though :-). Frank pretty much influenced and taught me how to play guitar, and we've been very good friends for around 25 years...he's a monster player - he still blows my mind.

This looks like an event I can't miss! Only an hour away with a significant risk of losing my life/truck/wallet/anal virginity.

See ya there!

BTW: Kick down with the fan-based FM MR link! :)

I think this is it:

www.mahoganyrush.com

Did that work? I'm a total computer idiot - but I think I did it right.

The site is great - I invited the guy who created it to the show; we'll see though -lets just say I'm not on his top-10 fav list, but has never met me and doesn't know me at all; Frank had told me about him a long time ago and what kind of demeanor he had - and the guy had said some things, but so did I - it's one of those sorta deals - but it's water under the bridge and hopefully he'll come. He's a really funny, prolific comic too, as well as being the world's #1 FMMR fan. If it weren't for him, Frank would be retired - thsi dude single handedly resurrected FMMR and now it has a relative new life.

I live an hour away too (I live in Oraneg County) if you are in O.C. yourself I'd be glad to take you if I can - wouldn't want you to risk your truck over an hour of serious blasting :-)

Later

I was checking out some the other web designs "Dead Elvis" did and the one he did for Richard Jeni (I'm a Jeni fan) used the now infamous background design used by the Heaven's Gate Cult!

:)

drstawl said:
I was checking out some the other web designs "Dead Elvis" did and the one he did for Richard Jeni (I'm a Jeni fan) used the now infamous background design used by the Heaven's Gate Cult!

:)

Is that the group that got beamed up?

Pretty weird if you ask me -

Anyway - I found some things out:

We go onstage at 9:30P, and it promises to be a very bizarre / cool evening; first, a singer / songwriter goes on by himself - I have no clue what he does. Then Peace Machine (us) for an hour + set, then my drummer is playing another set with some friends - they are complete lunatics and play all kinds of stuff - so I have a feeling if the place has any window they're getting blown out...!

Here's the address & number - directions are on the club's website (it's very small too - only 200 or so seats)

Sacred Grounds
399 W. 6th Street
San Pedro, CA (it's in a nice area)
(310) 514-0800
I hope you go - I'd love to meet anyone who shows up - it will be a fun night!

drstawl said:

same musical tastes, maybe, but a lot in common... um, it appears that GoMano can do more with a guitar than simply dangle it off his neck by the strap:confused:

;)

what are you supposed to do with these damn things anyway?

Fmmahoganyrush said:
same musical tastes, maybe, but a lot in common... um, it appears that GoMano can do more with a guitar than simply dangle it off his neck by the strap:confused:

;)

what are you supposed to do with these damn things anyway?

I am a complete imposter on the guitar! Frank may have taught me pretty much everything I do, but it's also everything he does, (although I pale in comparison of course) and there is no escape! But on the flip side of that coin, I couldn't be more proud to have learned about music from such an amazing guitar player....

Back