Miking a voice & acoustic piano?

Ivorykeys

I am looking for the best way to mic a voice with acoustic piano for a small venue of male/female or male/male duo. The equipment I am working with is a pair of EV SxA100+ powered speakers, a Mackie Onyx, a Lexicon MPX110 (for the voices), and a pair of Neumann KMS105 mics. It is a small restaurant, and I am looking for suggestions for reverb quantity & type for vocal, and will I need to mic the piano as well (It is a studio upright), to get a decent live sound & recording, or will the piano just naturally bleed through for acceptable results, since one of the 2 mics is right at the piano. I am a newbie, but this seems like the perfect forum to ask for suggestions on this topic.

Thanks,
Ivorykeys

Ivorykeys said:
I am looking for the best way to mic a voice with acoustic piano for a small venue of male/female or male/male duo. The equipment I am working with is a pair of EV SxA100+ powered speakers, a Mackie Onyx, a Lexicon MPX110 (for the voices), and a pair of Neumann KMS105 mics. It is a small restaurant, and I am looking for suggestions for reverb quantity & type for vocal, and will I need to mic the piano as well (It is a studio upright), to get a decent live sound & recording, or will the piano just naturally bleed through for acceptable results, since one of the 2 mics is right at the piano. I am a newbie, but this seems like the perfect forum to ask for suggestions on this topic.

Thanks,
Ivorykeys
How small is small? Have you checked the acoustics in the restaurant? You may not have to mic the piano at all.

I have seen them mic'd up with the tops open, and I've seen them pointed toward the back of the piano. I haven't tried to mic an acoustic piano before, so hopefully someone who has can chime in... :o

Back