Matching speakers for small club events

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
What would be a better match for an EON 500w subwoofer; an EON510, 280 watt with a 10 inch speaker and a crossover of 1.6kHz
or a Eon 515, 450 watts with a 15 inch speaker and a crossover of 2.2kHz? I appreciate the expertise!

Currently it's just for an acoustic duo but I'd like to leave room for adding a bass and drums to the mix.

You could use either. You might find the Eon 515 to overpower the sub unless you pull the gain back on it a bit. But that's something you can easily sort out.

It looks like the sub can work with any other PA speaker in the EON line. It probably comes down to room size and cost. If I were going to be adding bass and drums to a PA, that means a larger venue and I would definitely go for the 15" speakers.

I don't the specifics of the 15" Eons, but generally for acoustic work 12" and 10" speakers actually give a better, more uniformly dispersed sound.

I don't the specifics of the 15" Eons, but generally for acoustic work 12" and 10" speakers actually give a better, more uniformly dispersed sound.
Thanks MJ. The rooms will be variable and I think I'll be expanding soon so was getting the 15" but I wasn't aware there were 12's, lol. Now I'll be looking at them. :)

You know when you get older and size and weight of the speakers start to matter more I would have tried the 10" or 12" and if it sounded good I would have gone smaller LOL.

However I always like to have more then less, so if you don't care about the size and weight go 15". You may find that the 12" and sub actually sound better for vocals? But another thought is if you have a smaller gig you could leave the sub at home with the 15"s.

Hope I have not confused it too much.

Alan.

The 15" EONs have a pretty boomy, bass tone to them so when you filter that off for the subs to do their thing, they're a little thinner sounding than the 10 and 12" versions which as they don't go down so far, sound more natural - I quite like the 10" versions of these and the other similar ones, the 12s are fine, but all the 15 inch versions get a bit weedy - and you need to remove their very bottom end as they tend to 'argue' with the subs if you don't.

So, in summary, it seems that there is no major technical issue associated with which set of tops you get. So the choice narrows down to budget, weight and flexibility.

Back