Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Late arriving Musicians

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I was actually writing this as a guide for performing musicians not to get there late. As a sound engineer I pride myself on giving every act the best possible sound that can be achieved with the gear available and the room acoustics. For me to do this the musicians themselves have to give me half a chance by getting there early and telling me what they need.
    I'd like to make it clear that I was not in any way trying to disagree with this part. The performer really should act professional too. That means making sure to bring everything you need, arriving early ("if you're on time, you're late"), communicating clearly and courteously with the rest of the team, and preferably planning ahead for any contingencies. It also means dealing gracefully with obstacles and sometimes just working with what you've got. Really, all the same things the sound person should be doing.

I never really expect anybody else to live up to the standards I hold for myself, but wouldn't it be nice?

I actually only run sound for a couple shows a year, but just this past week was the annual music festival in my town, and I'm on the crew that provides sound for many of the venues. One of the guys (one of my oldest friends actually, who started running sound by helping me way back in high school) got fired after Friday night cause he was in a terrible mood and was I guess pretty shitty to some of the performers. It was pretty embarrassing for me because of my association with him. The club he was in is run by friends of mine and I kind of talked him up and then...

The last band I mixed last night was calling me out from the stage "Let's hear it for Ash Blackwater making us sound great!" I established a good rapport with all of my performers and everything went smoothly. I was lucky to work with some real pros who actually did show up prepared and on time, but really so did the other guy. He was just being a dick. He has lame excuses.

Right now I get to go haul the last of our PAs out of the venues where we left them last night.

Thanks
    Oh well, happened again last week.

The music club I am mixing for has now moved to a new venue, they have a house system which is small but good and as the venue is very small it sounds very good also. Due to the venues mixer being confined to the side of stage I take my own QSC Touchmix16 and I pad control it, plus have stored the settings, all channels muted, FOH and monitor EQ, vocal channels settings ETC, which makes it very easy for me to set up.

Anyway enough background, the venue opens at 7.30pm, the first act starts at 8.15pm. Last week the first act had not arrived by 8.10pm so Steve who organises the gigs there grabbed a guitar and started to set up for the first spot to replace the no show. But at 8.14pm the first act walks in and starts to mess around getting her guitar out "oh I don't have a cable to plug it in" no surprise there, I find one. It's now 8.20pm so I ask if she could hurry up "oh I am not booked to start until 8.15pm" comes the reply. When I informed her it was already 8.20pm the look on her face was classic and Steve thought my replay was classic.

What world do people live in? I will say that when we got started she was very good.

Alan.

Thanks
    I do the sound at a music club one night a week, usually close to $0 but because I believe in keeping this venue open I don't mind. It is a club where people come to listen not get drunk and talk. I get there a good 2 hrs before the show, so I can check the PA is working correctly, as I am not the only one using it through the week, and to get everything that is needed ready and checked. I can then take my time and relax and also fix any PA problems that may show up.

2 things are happening very regularly now:

First I get told things like I only need 1 mic and a DI for my guitar, only to find when they get there, oh some of my friends are playing so now I need 4 vocal mics, 3 DI's and mics for the drum kit. Oh and we have a cello with no pickup fitted.

Second (and this also applies to the acts above) we are say 5 mins out from show time and the first act rocks up (often complete with above instructions) and wants a sound check, two things, the room now has customers, and they are starting in a few mins anyway, remembering I have probably been sitting around for an hour with nothing to do.

This week took the cake, often when a second or third act has a drummer we try to have the drums set up before the first act (often a solo) starts. Well, the first act was very late, I am getting them on stage when the drummer rocks up from the second band. So its time to start the show and the drummer says he can keep setting up while the first acts is performing, which is very disrespectful. They then start arguing with me when I say no and tell them they are acting unprofessional, sigh! By the way did I say that the stage list for the second act did not say they had a drummer

Why is it that musicians do not act in a professional manner when given the chance to play a club where the audience is actually interested in what they do, run by people that actually care about them. This includes me, as I try to give them the absolute best sound I can. When I am playing a gig I turn up a good hour before to talk to the sound guy about what I/we would like, then if possible set up and sound check.

Alan.

P.S They wonder why I sometimes get grumpy.

are they really musicians ? or wannabee garage bands.

for sure they are not professional
    else they are superstars who have become way too arrogant with really big egos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    are they really musicians ? or wannabee garage bands.

for sure they are not professional
    else they are superstars who have become way too arrogant with really big egos
    We get a lot of very professional / quality acts at the club that make good money from playing other gigs, they like to play there because people listen to them unlike most gigs where beer and loud talking rule and the musicians play in the background. It is also a good opportunity for side projects (from the musicians usual bands) to get an outing. We do however like to give a wide range of acts a chance to play to keep the night interesting. It is not however a garage band type gig and it is defiantly not an open mic type of gig. Acts that do mess us around don't get another gig in a hurry.

Alan.

Thanks
    My best one of last year was the act that arrived, audience in their seats already and handed the sound guy their phone. He looked, signed and pulled out the already connected 3.5mm cable and plugged it in (thank god not a latest iPhone with no headphone socket). He asked for the code. She said she couldn't give it him, but if he kept touching the screen it wouldn't lock. She then started frantically searching and prodding. It's not here - It's not here!!! She said she was playing it at work ten minutes ago and had been editing it. Was it by chance on your server? Blank look. Turned out the music wasn't;t even on her phone but her work server, and as she wasn't at work any more ...........

She was, apparently a professional, honestly. My band played at a festival in the summer, and thought one band, were very 'thin'. Two mics, two people, two guitars. Turned out they were actually using tracks, but had plugged them into the stage box without telling the PA guys. No soundcheck because the people were already sitting there. Eventually, by their final song, the PA guy spotted two random channels with something on it, and shoved the fader up revealing drums and bass. Their fault for not being told there even were tracks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    My best one of last year was the act that arrived, audience in their seats already and handed the sound guy their phone. He looked, signed and pulled out the already connected 3.5mm cable and plugged it in (thank god not a latest iPhone with no headphone socket). He asked for the code. She said she couldn't give it him, but if he kept touching the screen it wouldn't lock. She then started frantically searching and prodding. It's not here - It's not here!!! She said she was playing it at work ten minutes ago and had been editing it. Was it by chance on your server? Blank look. Turned out the music wasn't;t even on her phone but her work server, and as she wasn't at work any more ...........

She was, apparently a professional, honestly. My band played at a festival in the summer, and thought one band, were very 'thin'. Two mics, two people, two guitars. Turned out they were actually using tracks, but had plugged them into the stage box without telling the PA guys. No soundcheck because the people were already sitting there. Eventually, by their final song, the PA guy spotted two random channels with something on it, and shoved the fader up revealing drums and bass. Their fault for not being told there even were tracks.

people are stupid and lazy whether musicians or not
    and they dont think at all
    do they expect another chance when they totally effupp the first time?

Thanks
    We get a lot of very professional / quality acts at the club that make good money from playing other gigs, they like to play there because people listen to them unlike most gigs where beer and loud talking rule and the musicians play in the background. It is also a good opportunity for side projects (from the musicians usual bands) to get an outing. We do however like to give a wide range of acts a chance to play to keep the night interesting. It is not however a garage band type gig and it is defiantly not an open mic type of gig. Acts that do mess us around don't get another gig in a hurry.

Alan.

Then that shoudl be a problem that quickly corrects itself
    just block the offenders for a long time and then make them agree in writing to some basic ground rules if they want another shot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    people are stupid and lazy whether musicians or not
    and they dont think at all
    do they expect another chance when they totally effupp the first time?
    Come on.......don't go through life that way. You're gonna miss a lot of good stuff.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Come on.......don't go through life that way. You're gonna miss a lot of good stuff.
    i guess i have just more worthless losers who dont care about anybody but themselves than you have
    or maybe my threshold for tolerating them has been worn down over the decades of those people causing problems for the rest of us

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrbee View Post
    Having been on both sides of the situation,I have seen bands that show up late expressly to screw with the first band,take their time getting off the stage after soundchecking so that the first band has to set up after the doors have opened,and OTOH seeing the sound guy make the other bands sound like crap-no effects on vocals/vocals buried/etc.-until their friends go on.All of a sudden the mix is great and everything sounds good.It's pitiful that some bands do anything they can to make the other bands on the bill look bad to cover up their own inadequacies.
    WOW, that brings back memories when I was playing original material. Bands so insecure they did all of the above.

Thread Information