It's not just good equipment that makes you sound good!

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
Last night I played at a gig for the first time through a 48 channel SSL console(sweet). We had a drummer, keys, bass, a percussionist, a singer and two acoustics. I played an acoustic guitar going direct in through a box as suggested by their soundman.

We had about a 2 minute sound check because of time restrictions and the only part I played in it was with the volume in my monitor. When we actually started to play, I soon discovered the only thing I could here was my monitor and that had nothing going through it but me, no mix of anyone else. The guitar sound had no tone or sustain in it. This made it pretty tuff on me because I was playing lead with the acoustic and there was no way to judge how long to hold a note. I just heard tink, tink, tink basically with no sustain. In hindsight, if I had only brought an amp, hmmm...

Peeps said the FOH sounded good but from my perspective it could have been alot better if I had some idea where I was in the mix. This was my first time playing at such a large venue and it made me wonder if this is a normal problem for musicians. Shouldn't there be a mix going through the monitors too?

The band after us had an electric guitarist, bass and drums. Their sound was incredibly loud almost to the point you couldn't hear yourself think. In between songs during announcements you couldn't understand a single word being said because the singers mic was feeding the monitor back through the mic garbling everything up. They played decently but I swear after hearing them for about a minute I had enough, absolutely no dynamics. We left right after the secong band and didn't(couldn't) stay to hear the other three.

Boy, what I would have done for a good sound guy, wah! Sorry for the rant but I'm just sayin...

Point well taken.

I played a gig in Sasebo, Japan (southern tip of Kyushu) in the park. The recreation guys hired a sound team from Los Angeles to do the sound for us because we were the opening act to a Jimmy Buffet tribute band. Our drummer played a Roland electronic kit, and refused to use the other drummer's kit, so we had them wire him into the board. 1 1/2 beats into the soundcheck, we blew the system. The sound guy overdid the bass on the kick, and we overloaded it. It took almost 4 times through "Can't Get Enough of Your Love", but this guy was a pro. We sounded better than the Jimmy Buffet band, and even they said we did. :D

A good sound guy makes all the difference. :cool:

Last night I played at a gig for the first time through a 48 channel SSL console(sweet). We had a drummer, keys, bass, a percussionist, a singer and two acoustics. I played an acoustic guitar going direct in through a box as suggested by their soundman.

We had about a 2 minute sound check because of time restrictions and the only part I played in it was with the volume in my monitor. When we actually started to play, I soon discovered the only thing I could here was my monitor and that had nothing going through it but me, no mix of anyone else. The guitar sound had no tone or sustain in it. This made it pretty tuff on me because I was playing lead with the acoustic and there was no way to judge how long to hold a note. I just heard tink, tink, tink basically with no sustain. In hindsight, if I had only brought an amp, hmmm...

Peeps said the FOH sounded good but from my perspective it could have been alot better if I had some idea where I was in the mix. This was my first time playing at such a large venue and it made me wonder if this is a normal problem for musicians. Shouldn't there be a mix going through the monitors too?

The band after us had an electric guitarist, bass and drums. Their sound was incredibly loud almost to the point you couldn't hear yourself think. In between songs during announcements you couldn't understand a single word being said because the singers mic was feeding the monitor back through the mic garbling everything up. They played decently but I swear after hearing them for about a minute I had enough, absolutely no dynamics. We left right after the secong band and didn't(couldn't) stay to hear the other three.

Boy, what I would have done for a good sound guy, wah! Sorry for the rant but I'm just sayin...
So often 'typical, especially it seems on multi-band gigs- so much left wanting for just good basics being sorted out.

Really there should've been no problem with giving you what you wanted through your monitor - heck, did they have a monitor engineer at the side of the stage? Well even if not, your monitor still should've been no more than just a send on their nice desk.

One little acronym to sort some of it... IEMs.

I was thinking the same thing. I didnt no ssl boards where used for live applications.

for those with ssl money and need a live board... the usual suspects are more along the lines of a Cadac J or maybe a Harrison... that's what ya typicly find in say high-end theatre and tv work...

Having a sound/ light company rules

We did the Town Party on the 3rd on July. Eastern Sierra Sound and Light did the sound and it was sweet. It was great to have someone else deal with the sound so we could just concentrate on putting on a kick ass show.

Back