How do you know when you're ready for live?

mindwave_21

Ok, so this may seem like a stupid question, but I want to hear people's opinions. I want to know how "ready" you are when you play live. By that, I mean, how much material do you have, how happy are you with it, etc.? I'm only asking because I want to get out and play, but

a) I don't think I have enough original material to cover more than maybe 15-25 minutes solo acoustic. With covers maybe about 30-40 minutes.
b) I'm fairly happy with my songs (about 85%), but I still think there's work needed on many.
c) I'm torn on getting myself out there for some experience or getting really good songs before introducing them to the public.

So basically, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go ahead and put yourself out there with what you think is unfinished material, or to wait a while to work on some music and then going out.

Thanks in advance!

I think this is a mistake that most all performers go through. They don't want to gig until they're "ready". Playing in the basement or living room and practicing your ass off (while not a bad thing and practice IS very necessary) you'll NEVER be ready. Nothing teaches you how to perform in front of an audience like performing in front of an audience. Get out and play, warts and all. Nothing motivates you to do better than fucking up in front of 100 people. It's like fire, a great motivator.

Track Rat said:
Nothing motivates you to do better than fucking up in front of 100 people. It's like fire, a great motivator.

Amen! Thats what fuels me to keep going sometimes when times are getting hard.

- Idgeit

If you dont think you have enough material to 'book' a show, then at least go out and play some open stages for a start, you can get a good feel for bigger shows and its great practice as well. I was doing open stages with only 5-6 songs under my belt.
good luck

What kind of venues are you looking at playing? What type of music? I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters about open mic nights and just getting up there and doing it.

If you are going to do a three song set for an open mic then practice the ever loving crap out of just that three song set plus two other songs in case of an encore request. Realize that you are probably going to screw up anyway and just roll with it.

The reason I ask about the type of venue and music is because that will affect set length. Here in the Pacific Northwest acoustic folk acts usually won't play more than two 45 minute sets at a gig. Half hour or 45 minute gigs are common (though not that lucrative). If you are trying to book a bar and replace the sound system be prepared for a four hour set, and only then if you have more than you and a guitar.

Festivals generally have large turnouts, short sets and open mic's (and there are a lot of them going on right now since the festival season is drawing to an end). Also look for songwriter's nights, song circle's or jam sessions to sit in on a weekly basis to get used to playing in front of people.

*edit*
I also used to just play anywhere to get over the reluctance factor. I would drive to the "cruising strip" in my town on the weekends and play on the trunk with a 6-pack of beer. Impromptu concert. I've also busked on sidewalks, in parks, and on beaches. Those are all good for helping build confidence because you have to actually pull out an instrument and start singing in a place where it is completely out of place.

JoeBannon said:
Just go play. Who cares if you're ready or not.

YES! Do that! And please, charge $8 at the door. Because there is nothing I love more than shelling out a cover charge to see a bunch of no talent ass clowns banging out their version of artistic expression after 7 practices, 5 of which did not include their new bass player, cousin Todd, who just bought his rig last week.

On the other hand, you could keep practicing and writing until you feel comfortable with what you have. Know that when you walk up onto that stage, you will take control of the audience and keep them entertained for an hour. Remember, you are only as good as your last gig.

Thunder33 said:
YES! Do that! And please, charge $8 at the door. Because there is nothing I love more than shelling out a cover charge to see a bunch of no talent ass clowns banging out their version of artistic expression after 7 practices, 5 of which did not include their new bass player, cousin Todd, who just bought his rig last week. On the other hand, you could keep practicing and writing until you feel comfortable with what you have. Know that when you walk up onto that stage, you will take control of the audience and keep them entertained for an hour. Remember, you are only as good as your last gig.

Then don't go. Though I would pay to see clowns playing guitar and singing.

My suggestion... At first, open mics.. Be brief... Perform often.
Alan Horvath has a great open mic article on google... just search for his name.. and one of the faces up here .. Steve Rapson wrote a book called "The Art of the Solo Performer" which is absoultly amazing.

Like everyone said...

Start playing in front of people, and don't book actual full gigs until you start hearing things like "That was very moving" or "Wow.. your really good" as opposed to "Not bad kid.. " and "You've got potential"

This thread is several months old -- I wonder if mindwave is still reading. Oh, well, maybe someone else is. When my friends and I first started a band, we wanted to play out quickly. We learned about 6 songs, then opened up for another, well-established band who we knew. That was very cool of them, especially because we sucked. Big time.

After a few of these shows and a lot more practices, we had about 30 songs. We still sucked, but we could hold our own for a few hours. Within a few months, we started doing gigs as the main act and had a little following. It's amazing how beer will lower people's expectations of what is 'good' music.

This is all to say that I think jumping into it is the way to go. Open mics, hang out at other bands' practices, do whatever you can to get comfortable playing in front of others. They may not like your music at first, but if you stick with it, they'll respect your perseverence. Plus, you'll get better -- you can't get any worse.

G

JoeBannon said:
Just go play. Who cares if you're ready or not.

My thought exactly. Remember to NEVER take youself too seriously. I mean, do what you do and do it to the best of your ability. Laugh at mistakes, and if some one starts heckling you, have them come up on stage and show you up. They often never blow you away, and even if they do, it's a treat for the crowd, it sucked up some time, but you still get paid at the end of the night. Just do it. If some of your songs aren't at 100% yet, they soon will be as a result of the live vib!

My first gig I had practiced with my bandmate for a week prior, learned 7 irish songs, and then played a St. Paddy's day gig in one of the biggest bars in Boston. We sucked, but we managed. The story and how that disastrous gig led to our success on Cape Cod that following summer can be found at the following link:

https://home.comcast.net/~fmmahoganyrush/billtom.htm

How do know when your ready to play live? Usually when you Ma tells ya to get the fuck outta dodge, or "when you gonna do something with your life" yada yada yada

Back