Thread: Electronic Crossover?

Thanks

Electronic Crossover?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I believe I already know the answer to this, but I thought I'd get a sanity check.

If I am stuck working with a venue's wound system that only has 2 "2-way" speakers (Peavey PV 112 speakers), is there any point in using an electronic crossover to help divide up the high frequencies and low frequencies? The specs for these speakers says: "Heavy duty crossover network for driver protection and EQ."

So I'm guessing the speaker already does the job. I just thought I remember something form the mists of my memory that sound could be improved with an electronic crossover? I don't really see how since the tweeter and woofer are both in the same speaker. Hence my question.

Thanks!

Thanks
    If tweeter and woofer are in the one enclosure with only a single feed in, then they will have an internal cross over and your electronic crossover can't be used.

If the speakers are intended to be bi-amped, they would have separate inputs for top and bottom and no cross over, in which case your crossover would be handy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It might be worth using a crossover just to high-pass the signal going to the speakers. I'd set it to about 50-60Hz. That would relieve it from having to reproduce low bass below its effective range. And if someone wants to bring in a sub to supplement the system you can run the crossover up to 100Hz.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for those replies! Kind of what I was thinking.

I don't actually have an electronic crossover. I was just making sure if I should get one or not. And it wouldn't be helpful, I don't think, to try to high-pass the speakers because the music being amplified at this venue is all acoustic - no bass guitars, no kick drum, etc. So it probably would be of minor benefit.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I've run one theatre PA I have tried-amped. The subs as a channel, then LF and HF to the mid/hi boxes. Last year I had an amp die on me, and with a bit of reprogramming the crossover, and switch flicking on the cabs, enabled the internal crossover and finished the last couple of shows. We always have a 3 month break, and on powering up forgot about the broken amp still in the rack. The point being the sound quality didn't change at all!

Thanks
    Properly configured, active crossovers can help squeeze more performance and better sound from a system, but if it's being used well within its limits there won't be much difference. Some good EQ would be more useful.

Thread Information