Corona virus impact

I did not say that, I said let’s stay away from the anti vax / vax argument. I’m sick of reading about it, 90% of people here are vaxed, here if you are not vaxed you will not be allowed to go to large gatherings for example festivals, that’s the decision. Weather it’s right or wrong I am not interested, it’s like the old think of don’t discuss politics or religion. Now it’s vax or not to vax.
Ok, but I wasn't involved in that either. What I am saying (as a vaccinated and boostered person whether that makes any difference to catching it,) is............... You cant catch the virus if you keep away from other people and their stuff.

Regards people who rely on audiences. Then it's a no brainer.......you are f***ed. You will have to find another way to sell your wares or change your job. Added to which the media, (who now work from a pc in a dark room and do not have to pay for ink or paper anymore,) will not let this virus go and will stir it up as much as possible for headlines. Thus keeping the whole circus going. Which is only going to prolong your misery.

This thread was for the effects of the virus on the music industry not anti fax propaganda. Trues have a choice but keep it to yourself.
No Anti-vax propaganda from me...I'm all for getting the vax if you want to get it and get it if you don't want to. ...I did post a little anti-stupidity in general about how we are STILL blowing it on best practices as I expounded on what was going on here in LA but I get ya on the re-direction and will personally try to stay on topic in this thread.

As Orson pointed out for those that depend on playing live for a living, based upon now almost 2 years in on this shit, it looks like it might be time to figure out another way to pay the bills. Really sucks but this just doesn't look encouraging. The leader of the country band I was invited into definitely was making a good living playing live and I got to experience getting paid damn good money (the likes of which I never made in a rock band) 4 times in the last year. But that sure won't pay his bills, he's going to have to figure something else out at least for a while. We have had several good gigs canceled or postponed with nothing in que for right now. I do believe there will always be a need for live performances for certain big events but the pickins are going to be slim and how we go about pulling them off has changed probably for a very long time. A paradigm shift indeed.

Streaming has become huge but as an old fart I sure don't know how to go about making a living doing it. Definitely doubtful I could generate a following that would ever be of any significance financially. C'est La Vie!

Glad I have a few day jobs ;)

As far as live gigs.......it's been a while since I cared to play them........well before covid. However....after leaving live playing....there were a couple different groups of guys I used to get together with to jam and work out originals and just have some fun. Covid has really killed all of that. I really miss that. And as mentioned....playing online is a terrible substitute.

Mick

Getting together to jam has not been a problem...just be responsible and don't come if you feel shitty or think you may have been exposed. But live gigs...just not that many opportunities and sketchy right up to the hours before the gig happens as to if it is on or not on.

@ Orson & TAE, I do agree with what you said, I am double vaxed soon to be treble vaxed, I am still playing out live and also working as a sound guy some nights. 4 gigs last week as a bass player.

We have been luck where I live as our state borders have been closed and we have very little Covid. However the borders are about to be opened due to 90% double vax rate so we will see.

I know a lot of people who are anti vaxers and here if you are not vaxed, no venues are allowed to let you in, so anti vaxed musicians it’s over. I have become so fed up with the anti vax people I don’t talk to them anymore.

Keep well all

A paradigm shift indeed.

Streaming has become huge but as an old fart I sure don't know how to go about making a living doing it. Definitely doubtful I could generate a following that would ever be of any significance financially. C'est La Vie!

Glad I have a few day jobs ;)
I have noticed that some musicians have gone into making music and putting it up on stock type libraries.

For instance about a month ago until say last week, the demand for xmas tunes is mega from lots of different places.

The rest of the year: Ambient music is a big seller. Anything that can be used for a purpose where people require music. Adverts, video, audio stories etc.

I know it means change. I have done lots and lots of different jobs and trades to make money since. You do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
Witz, I have issues with autocorrect. Yesterday I was sending a text to a friend. I tried to send the word Oops. Autocorrect sent Poops! Thank you autocorrect. Thankfully, she's got a sense of humor!
I know a lot of people who are anti vaxers and here if you are not vaxed, no venues are allowed to let you in, so anti vaxed musicians it’s over. I have become so fed up with the anti vax people I don’t talk to them anymore.

Keep well all

I haven't seen a concert for 2 years, went to one magic show while I was in Vegas in Sept. We wore masks, even tho most of us were vaxed. There are shows happening locally. Jack Harlow, a rapper, was just in town this past week (he grew up here) and did 5 concerts at smaller local venues of 300 to 2000 seats. They sold out in a few minutes.

Venues have been requesting proof of vax or a negative test. Policy is as stated:

Guests attending indoor performances at The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, the Brown Theatre, and Old Forester’s Paristown Hall will be required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test (PCR test taken within 72 hours of the performance time or Antigen test taken within 24 hours of performance time). Masks are required inside The Kentucky Center and Brown Theatre, recommended inside Old Forester’s Paristown Hall

I know it means change. But I started working life making blast furnaces. Then nobody wanted them. I have done lots and lots of different jobs and trades to make money since. You do what you gotta do.
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. Seasons change and so have I, man you're singing to the choir brother.

All I can say is I have lived a pretty blessed, lucky and fun life so far...last night was no exception...went and watched my 10 year old grand daughter kill it on her Christmas song performance solo...In awe of the blessings that have befallen me, humbled, grateful and surely waaaaaaay overpaid!

Last edited:
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. Seasons change and so have I, man you're singing to the choir brother.

All I can say is I have lived a pretty blessed, lucky and fun life so far...last night was no exception...went and watched my 10 year old grand daughter kill it on her Christmas song performance solo...In awe of the blessings that have befallen me, humbled, grateful and surely waaaaaaay overpaid!

What a wonderful attitude!!! You ARE blessed.

I went to 5 smaller-venue concerts this fall, all required proof of vax or negative test result. Masks only required at 1 of the venues. I avoided the arena shows that did not require vax or masks. Boston is implementing 'vax/test' for ANY indoor stuff starting January 15 - restaurants, shows, movies, etc.

I've been running my open mic inside every other week since October, no masks/proof of vax required. No outbreaks from attendees or regular patrons at the pub as far as I know. Had 2 solo gigs 2 weeks ago, mask required at one of them, not a lot of fun singing through a mask for a couple of hours. I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better again. Glad I don't rely on my gig income to live, but it helps for 'extras' (like paying for the brake job my car just needed).

We're waiting for an announcement today. We will either be working until 10th January or going home on Boxing Day. This seems to be the choice and it's like a court waiting for the jury to return. In practical terms it's the loss of two weeks pay for most, but that we can live with - it's the depression. Normally a happy atmosphere, smiling faces and excitement. Today it's miserable. Nobody smiling, nobody in good spirits - and worse, I'm supposed to bring forward, if closure is announced, all the end of show stuff - the parking for trucks, permits, final documents and I have two days to do it all - but I cannot even start. 30 people with flights and ferries to re-arrange, hotels to cancel, so much work if the announcement comes today. if it comes tomorrow - I just won't have time to do it, and run the remaining shows. If there is a plan B, to reduce capacity, we'll still going to close - 50% capacity won't pay the bills. It's a nightmare. I'm not a political person, but we have England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales - all doing different things and with current contracts - you suddenly lose money that is unrecoverable and we all have bills to pay. I'll survive, but I'm old. If I was a 30-40yr old with mortgage and bills, how do you cope?

• Sad
We're waiting for an announcement today. We will either be working until 10th January or going home on Boxing Day. This seems to be the choice and it's like a court waiting for the jury to return. In practical terms it's the loss of two weeks pay for most, but that we can live with - it's the depression. Normally a happy atmosphere, smiling faces and excitement. Today it's miserable. Nobody smiling, nobody in good spirits - and worse, I'm supposed to bring forward, if closure is announced, all the end of show stuff - the parking for trucks, permits, final documents and I have two days to do it all - but I cannot even start. 30 people with flights and ferries to re-arrange, hotels to cancel, so much work if the announcement comes today. if it comes tomorrow - I just won't have time to do it, and run the remaining shows. If there is a plan B, to reduce capacity, we'll still going to close - 50% capacity won't pay the bills. It's a nightmare. I'm not a political person, but we have England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales - all doing different things and with current contracts - you suddenly lose money that is unrecoverable and we all have bills to pay. I'll survive, but I'm old. If I was a 30-40yr old with mortgage and bills, how do you cope?
Man it is a shit show everywhere.. like chickens running round with their heads chopped off screaming ( or trying to scream) THE SKY IS FALLING when in fact it ain't falling, our leaders are failing...This a a world wide situation, ideally as a world wide community it'd be wonderful if we could come together as one and with science and practicality set a base standard protocol that will allow us to put the wraps on this virus for good..Ain't gonna happen but it'd be really nice if it could.

I'm seriously scared about what is around the corner on this shit. In the end surely we'll get through this particular shit show as we have for 1000's of years but the warm fuzzy easy going world we have known for most of our lives has come to pass and I suspect we are in for a long run at screwing with this virus and it's ever changing iterations.

Don't see the light at the end of the tunnel fo sho!

We have stay of execution - theatres in Northern Ireland can stay open, so it's up for review on the 30th, so that leaves just one week of the run - which is much better than three. The relief in people was so obvious after it was announced. I feel so sad for colleague in the other shows that have shut. Crazy situation.

We have stay of execution - theatres in Northern Ireland can stay open, so it's up for review on the 30th, so that leaves just one week of the run - which is much better than three. The relief in people was so obvious after it was announced. I feel so sad for colleague in the other shows that have shut. Crazy situation.
The death rates now to the amount of infections are really low. Of course we have those unfortunates. But I think most of it is Media lead now.

Back