Audio interface for 3-4 folks live jam

18Duffs

Hey all how goes it

I have ran into a couple bucks and am looking at getting a new usb interface
HOWEVER I would like to use it as a dual purpose

A) as a stand alone usb interface for my DAW home recording
B) also have it double at other times as some sort of a mixing board that I can get 4-6 simultaneous inputs, loadup and presave some effects, and re-route back into my board,

I understand that I can achieve the same thing with a mixing board (I have an Allen Heath Z10) but I was hoping that I could get unique effects for each of the 4-6 tracks and don't want to spend a ton on outboard effects.

I was looking at the Focusrite pro 40 but Im not sure if it will work as a standalone,
I don't feel like lugging my PC around with me all over the place just to make it work

thank you, and I appreciate any input you can offer

Zoom LiveTrak L-12 might meet all those requirements. (Never used one - just a Zoom digital recorder fan.)

Zoom LiveTrak L-12 | Zoom

Your list of wants is a lot more than any basic interface will support, especially having built-in effects that you save and can reuse live. You'll need one of the newer digital mixers, and read the specs carefully, as they promise an awful lot.

Something like Presonus StudioLive would do the trick. It's a digital mixer with multi-track output to computer.

I recently purchased the behringer XR18. Got a good deal on it and I'm still learning it. Of course, having 16 mic inputs might be over-kill for your purposes, but the price isn't bad and it will pull double duty as an FOH mixer and 18 channel interface. Unfortunately, the lower channel models (xr16 and xr12) only stream 2 channels to a computer. If you can get by with that, then maybe they'll work for you also.

Whats the budget? QSC touchmix 8 can multitrack, and you can remix on it after recording. It's a great live mixer as well. I own a touchmix16, same thing with 16 channels.

Alan.

Back