Wanted - YOUR music for our clients in tv, radio, films, adverts, games etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Makin-Trax

Hi,
I'm Adam. My company, Makin' Trax, is looking for music for our two catalogues.

Our first catalogue is for members of royalty societies - ASCAP, PRS etc. and is sent out monthly to our tv, radio, film, advert and game contacts in the UK and USA. Our biggest client so far is Bauer Media. Accepted tracks will be under our non-exclusive agreement. Placements are not guaranteed.

Our second catalogue is for everyone who isn't a member of a royalty society, and is being created especially for a major TV company. The agreements run for a year at a time. These submissions must be exclusive to us and cannot be sent to any other company whilst under this contract. You cannot join a royalty society whilst your tracks are under this contract. Chances of placements are higher than normal.

Submissions to either catalogue must be 100% original (although your own recording of Public Domain pieces are fine). No cover versions. No illegal samples. Some sample cds have smallprint stating "not for production music or jingle use" or similar wording. This is Production Music so please check before you use such cds. All recordings and mixes must sound professional. Home demos that sound like home demos won't be accepted. Full vocal songs must be in tune, though if you have instrumental versions as well, that can increase the chance of someone using them.

All genres are needed, from basic acoustic guitar to full orchestral pieces, and from ambient to Drum n Bass.

For info on the royalty society catalogue, reply here or email adam at makin-trax dot co dot uk
Submissions should be via links - Soundcloud, Reverbnation etc. Mp3s can be sent through wetransfer.com (or any ftp service) to demo at makin-trax dot co dot uk. Please do not email mp3s directly. They will not be listened to.

Full details on the non-royalty society catalogue are here:
www dot makin-trax dot co dot uk/new-catalogue dot php
Submission details are the same, except the email address to use is pay-per-play at makin-trax dot co dot uk.

Thank you,
Adam

Hi RightOnMusic,
I asked the administrator where to post, and this is where they said. I thought it was odd too.
Moresound,
I returned!
Dogbreath,
We listen to all submissions - with and without anal references and pus ;)

Now that we know that you aren't a spambot, and you even went through proper channels: Apologies and welcome Adam.

Thanks Tom.

Since I've posted the website is undergoing an upgrade so is temporarily offline, but we're still accepting submissions for when we return.

Adam.

Submissions should be via links - Soundcloud, Reverbnation etc. Mp3s can be sent through wetransfer.com (or any ftp service) to demo at makin-trax dot co dot uk. Please do not email mp3s directly. They will not be listened to.

Nothing like almost-spamming a forum then shutting down your website. :facepalm:

Yea... something ain't right here.

Adam - Who is "the major tv company" you mentioned? What's your company's phone number? Address? Why isn't that on your site's placeholder page? Speaking of that - why was that made in Word? Do you guys not use professional web development services? If not - what kind of information is going to be stored on your site's server, and what kind of security will be in place to protect it? And - why, in your post here, do you not mention paying the artists, or at what point the exclusive agreement (for the non-royalty society catalogue) will begin? Taken literally, it says "By sending us your track it's ours for a year"...and that's it. Is there more to the story? On these notes: Why didn't you paste your privacy, licensing, and usage policies for what you're going to do with the music you receive into your placeholder Word-document-site-thing?

I'd ask your last name, but I did at least find that in your site's whois info. I also found this: "The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service." Looking at who exactly is eligible for that in the UK, I found this: Nominet - FAQ which basically says only people who do nothing involving money or any kind of professional business at all. Care to explain that? Particularly I'm wondering how you qualify for this anonymity if you are, in fact, going to pay the artists. Is your company operating in some kind of gray area there?

Why is everything, with the exception of the mention of Bauer, completely vague and unverifiable - right down to your company's very existence. There's posts like these asking for music for your company going back almost 6 years all over the internet... Why is this the state of things? All of this screams, at the very least, "completely unprofessional", and it's not unreasonable to just assume this is some kind of scam.

...I submit music for people I work with all the time to a few different agencies - why is your company the only one that I have ever had to ask a single one of these questions about? Have you never been asked them before? In 6 years?

Nothing like almost-spamming a forum then shutting down your website. :facepalm:

Not sure what you meant by almost spamming? (With un-necessary hyphen :facepalm: !) The website is simply being upgraded with a brand new back-end, front-end and moved to a new server, which means we couldn't leave the old version if the site up as the nameservers are now pointing to the new server.

What I meant is that you go around SPAMMING - advertising your 'company' - even with permission, which makes it 'almost' - then when we go to check your site, it's down? Why wouldn't you wait to advertise until the site is updated?
And you might want to address Typhoid's post above, as well.

Adam - Who is "the major tv company" you mentioned? What's your company's phone number? Address? Why isn't that on your site's placeholder page? Speaking of that - why was that made in Word? Do you guys not use professional web development services? If not - what kind of information is going to be stored on your site's server, and what kind of security will be in place to protect it? And - why, in your post here, do you not mention paying the artists, or at what point the exclusive agreement (for the non-royalty society catalogue) will begin? Taken literally, it says "By sending us your track it's ours for a year"...and that's it. Is there more to the story? On these notes: Why didn't you paste your privacy, licensing, and usage policies for what you're going to do with the music you receive into your placeholder Word-document-site-thing?

I'd ask your last name, but I did at least find that in your site's whois info. I also found this: "The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service." Looking at who exactly is eligible for that in the UK, I found this: Nominet - FAQ which basically says only people who do nothing involving money or any kind of professional business at all. Care to explain that? Particularly I'm wondering how you qualify for this anonymity if you are, in fact, going to pay the artists. Is your company operating in some kind of gray area there?

Why is everything, with the exception of the mention of Bauer, completely vague and unverifiable - right down to your company's very existence. There's posts like these asking for music for your company going back almost 6 years all over the internet... Why is this the state of things? All of this screams, at the very least, "completely unprofessional", and it's not unreasonable to just assume this is some kind of scam.

...I submit music for people I work with all the time to a few different agencies - why is your company the only one that I have ever had to ask a single one of these questions about? Have you never been asked them before? In 6 years?

+1

(I think almost all TyphoidHippo's posts deserve a +1 actually...) :D

sub-zero-fatality-mkII.jpg

@Mjbphotos : I didn't advertise my company. I asked if any musicians here would like to submit tracks to the catalogues. I asked the admin if this was ok to post before I did that, so you'd be better asking them about what they regard as spam.

Not sure where the rest of that reply went, but I answered all Typhoid's questions yesterday - if there's a text limit it didn't say - so I hope it gets there this time...

There are 2 catalogues : 1 is for standard royalty-based licensing, and the other is for our pay-per-play clients. Our commission is just 30% whichever catalogue your tracks are in.
As far as I'm aware, most libraries \ licensing companies take 50%. Some charge a yearly fee on top of that, and some even charge you to submit your own tracks.

The differences : Royalty-based is non-exclusive and you can withdraw your tracks whenever you wish, as long as they're not being licensed to a client at that time. Money is made through fixed-rate PRS For Music \ ASCAP \ BMI licence and broadcast royalties. You have to wait 3 to 6 months to recieve your royalties. Pay-per-play is exclusive, so you cannot send your tracks to other music companies. The agreements run for a minimum of one year, and are extended each time a new client is contracted. Each client pays a subscription for access to the catalogue, based on the quality and number of tracks available at the time of the payment, so we need to extend your agreement each time to make sure the client has the full number of tracks they're entitled to. This is still less time than with standard libraries, who put your tracks on cds, and they must remain in their cataloges forever. (Look for the words 'in perpetuity' on your contract). Money is made each time your track is played by a client on one of their tv channels. The amounts are unrestricted and payment periods will definitely be a maximum of 3 months. Monitoring will be done automatically, using bspoke software and the clients own production data on the server (which they agree to) so the website will know which tracks are being used in which tv show, and when they will be played.

With regards royalty societies - You will get licence royalties (if the production company fills out the cue sheet properly), but even then societies some only take a music sample every 2 days out of the full 7, so if your tracks were played on the other 5 you probably won't receive any broadcast royalties unless you heard the track(s) and notify them of the day, date and time. You also have to (usually) pay to join each agency, and they take a cut (12.5% in the UK) of each licence.

Pay-per-play may work out better in the long run, as there are only a few companies set up for this model. (There are 200+ music libraries just in the UK). There are no joining fees, you don't have to rely on a cue sheet, and you don't have to wonder whether the society you joined listened to the tv on the day your track was played. This is a new direction for us, so amounts are as yet unknown, though each client will be more likely to use this catalogue, as it doesn't come with an unknown broadcast royalty bill.

When I first started, there was a boom in licensing, though instead of having the time and money to push my company I spent most of those 6 years (and the 4 previously) writing and producing for the majors - Extreme, Carlin, Sonoton, Match etc. Not entirely un-professional, more circumstantial.

Clients details are confidential. As for my name, address and phone number...
My name is Adam McEvoy. The company is currently from home, as are most small licensing companies \ libraries - once I have my company registered as an LLC I'll supply the address.
I used to give my phone number, but most communication these days is via Skype, plus I'm fed up with people selling my number to automated message services.

So that's it in brief. No scam, no subscription fees, no pay-to-submit fees. Just a licensing company looking for great tracks. This forum is the ideal place to find talented musicians with decent tracks. Not everyone will get a record deal or become a famous producer, but the licensing business levels the playing field. It's simply about whether your track matches a project.

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:
Do you have any room for crude, narcissistic, sometimes self-loathing, always tongue-in-cheek, and potentially offensive punk that's poorly written but played pretty awesomely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back