very cool JoeMeek VC3 just posted on Reverb

I pulled up my old VC3Q manual and it says "An external 12V AC power supply provides the power for the unit. Circuitry inside the VC3Q converts the 12V AC into 14.5-0-14.5V and a 48V DC supply for the phantom power. Power rating is 5 watts." Watts / Volts = Amps, 5 watts / 12 volts = .416 amp (or 416 mA). I want to think I tried a 500mA wallwart and it didn't work. Regardless, I found 12vAC/ 1000 or 1200mA that worked. Also, I think I had to find an Adapt-a-plug to fit the jack. I will dig mine out tomorrow and take some pics, if you are interested.

~ I found my notes from my PSU hunt, back in 2012... my 3Q did not have the wallwart, so I was searched the interwebs for the PSU's part# that came original with the VC3Q. From Sound on Sound:
Stontronics Ltd
AC-AC Adaptor
Model No. AC-1200500BS

Dale

Last edited:
COOL! Fair warning, you might have to help me a little. That one looks a little less intuitive.

Ok man.......your VC3 is on the way!! With any luck.....it's supposed to arrive on Saturday.......but who knows. Have fun with it!!

youre a good man Mickster!

In the US, Mouser and DigiTech is what I use at work or home, they have about everything in PSU needs.

...and DALE mentioned the little plug adapters between 2.1 or 2.5mm are $2. I usually have a pile of old psu and cut and match the plugs as needed.
Many now have internal protection and are pretty robust. Having more mA ability, is fine. Ive had several units where the seller had 9VDC psu for a AC/AC etc....funny, the leds often light up and the unit might even work, but it isn't running as designed. lol

youre a good man Mickster!

Yes, he is!

Got it today! Thanks a million!

Now, to find a PSU.

So, if it only needs 416 mA, just wondering why a 500 mA wouldn't work? A guy on another board said his original VC3 PSU says the output is only 300 mA.

First of all......you're welcome! Enjoy it and make many great tracks with it!!

Listen........as others have said.......this unit will exhibit noise and other issues with an incorrect or cheap PSU.......especially one with a lower amperage than needed. I've tried a number of them and what worked for me..........and I believe to be an appropriate unit......is a 12volt AC 1 amp output. (See DaleVo post above) Cheap PSU's don't always output what they say they do.....so whatever you do......don't cheap out brother.

That's a good fit.
Its Jameco. 12V AC.... it can handle 1000ma, so more than enough.

the one that always got me was the tiny plug end. the one you posted is a 2.1MM, which is a common sized Barrell plug. (a bunch of gear are 2.5mm that require a adaptor to change it from 2.1 to 2.5, or vice versa).

Heres better specs:
ACU120100: Jameco Reliapro : AC-AC Wall Adapter 12 V@1A 2.1mm Female Plug : Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Ted Fletcher comments the original was 12VAC 300ma but 800ma is Ideal.
The one you showed has 1000ma, even better.

Back