FS: Mixer/Interface, Focusrite Mic pre, EMU PCI card

Chili

Site Moderator
I've got some stuff laying around I'm not using anymore.

Phonic Helix 12 Firewire Mixer $50 - 4 mic pres, Streams up to 10 channels (Pre-EQ, FX) to computer. This is the older model and does not work with Win7. Works perfectly with WinXP. Drivers are still available for download. (DRIVER) The thing I liked about this mixer was I could route reverb to my headphones without it going to the computer. This allowed me to have reverb while recording but not record the reverb. Included is power supply.

Manual:
View attachment helixboard12firewire.pdf

Focusrite Platinum Twintrack Pro $250 - I've seen these on eBay for over $350!! This is a Great mic pre!! Awesome on vocals and bass. 2 channels with Opto compressors and I'm pretty sure it was the opto-compressors that gave my bass tone a nice growl. Variable EQ scoop, impedance matching... HERE is a SOS article on it. This unit has some flaky push button switches. They work, just need to 'jiggle' them a bit; reflected in the price. There are replacements switches available on the internet if you are so inclined to do your own repair job. (I'll do it for you but will add an additional $150). Included is power cable.

EMU 0404 PCI card $25 - This is before Creative Labs took over. It has a built-in DSP unit that can run some effects or processors. I used it mostly for the SPDIF capabilities when I had my Lavry's. Drivers are available for Win7 32/64. I never had any problems with this card. Patchmix software and drivers are HERE. Included are Digital and Analog breakout cables.

Buyer pays shipping.

Last edited:
Hey, I think I might be interested in the Phonic. (Did I just hear myself say that?) Let me try to find some info on it to be sure.

What do you think shipping would be to 47802? (roughly)

Also, do you have the manual?

I'd also like to discuss how to get 10 inputs in to route down the firewire pipe. I've got a couple of other small boards that I could use to rig something up.

I'll traveling today, but will come back to this tomorrow. I can look up shipping rates when I have more time.

Thanks for the interest.

No problem. I was looing for the manual and driver CD and got distracted into doing other things. I wasn't able to find either, but there is a manual online for a similar model, the MkII. I have the drivers that work with WinXP, but not the CD. The CD also had Cubase LE, but I don't suppose you need that anyways.

Looks like shipping with UPS will be about $18.

I'm not quite sure how Phonic counts 10 inputs. There are 4 mic pres/Line Ins and then 6 more Line Ins. I see a total of 8 inputs. Channels 5 and 6 and channels 7 and 8 are grouped as stereo pairs.

Here's a pic:
phonic-helixboard-12-firewire-mixer1.jpg

You can see how the inputs are grouped.

For another $200 I'll throw in the Focusrite mic pre amp. (That'll raise the cost of shipping a little) $250 for both!! :)

Yeah, I had looked it up, but as you said, I was trying to figure out how they came up with 10. I suppose they're counting the FX sends?

Anyway, disregarding that, I should be able to get via firewire, at least 8 discrete channels into XP, correct?

And there are no drivers availablefor Vista?

Also, this is not the same as a Helix 12 Universal is it? I'm sure it's not a Mk II or it would work with Win7. My only problem with this now is that, if it only works with XP, my old XP music machine is probably going to be woefully underpowered for the Phonic. Since I can't find the manual, I don't know the requirements for it.

No, it's not the universal. I believe the universal has both FW and USB. This is the original Helix 12 FW board. I do not know if it will work with Vista. When I used it with XP, I had a Pentium 4 and 2 gig of ram. It worked fine. Never had glitches or data underflow. The MkII manual says minimum is P4 with 512MB of ram. I am pretty sure it's the same spec for the original as well.

I'm heading out of town again tomorrow. Let me know and I can pack it up and try to ship it on my way to the airport.

Tomorrow morning? Or wait and I'll be back home Thursday. No rush on my end. I just don't want to be holding you up if you want it.

Back