Where to buy cable for DIY cables?

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
This is kind of a dumb question, but where can I go to buy lengths of cable for cables that I'm going to put together myself? To clarify, I don't want online places (normally I'd just use Markertek). Does Home Depot sell this kinda stuff? I only need like 12', but it would cost me $20 after shipping, which is dumb when I could get two assembled cables at Radio Shack for less. I was thinking I could save myself a couple bucks since I already have the connectors for the ends...

Too bad no one's answered this question. I'm curious to know too. I don't think Home Depot would have it.

Here's a place online I've considered, though I haven't purchased any yet.

www.guitar-cable.com

They have lots of different brands/choices of bulk cable, ranging from $0.25 to $4 per foot.

Shipping seems pretty reasonable. It would have been $4.80 for 30 feet of cable for USPS Priority ---- $5.80 USPS Priority for 60 feet. I don't know what it would have been for UPS Ground, which is their basic service. I'm pretty sure it would have been less than USPS Priority, but it was one of those where you place the order, then they send you an email with the shipping charges, and you then confirm the purchase. So I don't know for sure.

Home Depot/Lowes/Ace all have low-voltage outdoor wiring, which is great for speaker cable, but nothing else that will do for any pro-audio application.

if you can find some Shielded Twisted pair, that is what you need.

If you are around DC, look for some Electronics surplus shops.

I run Beldon shielded twisted pair (20 AWG) on my audio rack that I also use for my Amatuer Radio station (I do broadcast style audio on the HAM Radio Bands... in Sideband mode) and I have no trouble with RFI getting into my audio. I also use the same rack for recording.

I went there, but the one I went to didn't seem to have any... Or else they hide it somewhere and the employees can't figure out what it is.

I think that, in order for the cost to be about the same, you have to buy a cheaper quality cable, but maybe I'm just generalizing. But yeah, for long runs (or just buying in bulk), DIY is definitely cheaper.

Forget radio shack.

Parts Express carries Carroll brand cable (It's good - I've used thousands of feet of it) of feet of it online. it's a MUCh better grade of cable, and probably will cost about as much as what you're paying at Ratshack. Plus, you'll havea pro grade cable...Rs basically carries crap grade stuff at jacked up prices.

Go to markertek for your ends - I always bough Neutriks, and if you buy them in bulk you can save quite a bit of cash on them.

Forget radio shack.

Parts Express carries Carroll brand cable (It's good - I've used thousands of feet of it) of feet of it online.

The original poster wanted something local, not online, which was why I mentioned the Rat Shack. There are any number of online stores with high quality cable. That said, if the RS cable isn't complete crap, the per-foot cost is amazingly low.... It's probably complete crap. :D

To answer the question about the employee thinking they don't have it, it is probably in the back. If you give them the part number, they can look it up and say for sure whether they have it (and if not, they should also be able to tell you if any other stores in the area do).

I'm sure DC area (Baltimore to Arlington) has a handful of theater supply companies while audio cable is seldom a marque item it is not unusual for them to have spools and sell @ competitive per foot rates (though might require 100 ft minimum)

while not local to DC area I pulled this out of the rolodex which gives you an idea of its age. I did not confirm they exist and as I was doing a bunch of Network installations at the time it is possible that they do not handle audio . . . though rolodex was flagged 'mogami'

they were wholesale, price competitive and shipped throughout US:

BASIC WIRE & CABLE
3900 N Rockwell St
Chicago,IL 60618
(773) 539-1800

then online there are these guys http://www.tecnec.com/Index.asp
Mogami shielded two strand was about $.28/ft min. 80 ft. last time (which was not last week so my guess is price is higher, last time I picked up quantities of the mogami suitable for TRS I paid $.17/ft which also dates me)

If there are local broadcast supply outfits they'd also have cable, but over past decade I've found more local theatrical supply stores have survived then old school electrical surplus

good luck

I can't believe I never thought of all those home theater places... there are a TON of those. I'll have to give that a try next time I'm looking for some cable! Thanks!

I the same problem a while back while looking for 6" of shielded cable. The Radio Shacks around me don't carry parts anymore, just cell phones, etc. I eventually stumbled upon an electronics store a few blocks away where I've since been able to get a couple ICs, projet box, shielded cable, switchcraft TRS and XLR jacks, selector switch, etc.. I didn't think stores like that existed anymore. You might just check the yellow pages.

Hmm yeah local places. Good luck.

I have been looking around the Twin Cities for a long time. Sometimes I get lucky at surplus stores. Or Radio Shack might have something that will work, but usually expensive.

You might want to try Guitar Center. Again you might get lucky.

It sucks but I just by in bulk so I always have some on hand in case I need something. It sucks to have to place an order for like 10ft or something.

Back