Soldering center recommendation?

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Can anybody recommend a good one?

I have a simple 15/30W iron right now, but I feel like it is too hot on the 30W setting for audio PCB work...scorches...and not hot enough on the 15W to get the solder to flow well, so I think I'm looking for a variable temp unit.

And in that case, what temp works well for recapping and such?

I've got two Weller's (one at the shop, and one at the home hobby electronics station), a WES51 and a WESD51. Basically the same thing, but the WESD51 has a digital temperature read out. Pricey, but I love the things.

But if you are overheating things, it is almost certainly not that the iron is too hot, but that you are leaving it on there too long. A hotter iron that you can use for a shorter time is a good thing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

But if you are overheating things, it is almost certainly not that the iron is too hot, but that you are leaving it on there too long.

Okay. thanks. I'll keep that it mind. I do try and be sensitive to the timing. It just feels like it hasn't always heated through right and it is scorching the surface. Maybe I'm off-track.

I've got two Weller's (one at the shop, and one at the home hobby electronics station), a WES51 and a WESD51. Basically the same thing, but the WESD51 has a digital temperature read out. Pricey, but I love the things.

But if you are overheating things, it is almost certainly not that the iron is too hot, but that you are leaving it on there too long. A hotter iron that you can use for a shorter time is a good thing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

+1 On the WESD51, they are so common that you should be able to find one cheap. I got mine new on ebay for $75. Plenty of different tips which are cheap also.

Antex

I've never found a weller that I liked. Ages ago in high school I worked at Tektronix building scopes and other test equipment. Tek used the Antex M/3U exclusivly. I've found this to be by far the best iron for me.

You can get them from www.mmnewman.com

http://www.mmnewman.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=135&fs=&pfs=1&catid=14

They are $27 plus the cost of tips. Many types of tips for about $5 each. 12 watts and a 650 to 700 degree tip temp.

Regards, Ethan

Yes

Goodness...

That's a lot of tips! :eek:

What would be good for PCB work? For cabling?

They are designed for PCB and typical cables. They just work well on PCB and all.

I've never found anything that comes close in comfort and control.

-E

for me any of them with a variable temp and different size tips is a winner... the one i have now is a cheap Tennma... i keep small round /small chisel/big round tips handy for different work...

I've always been a fan of the Weller WTCPT, and that's the one I use now. Rock solid performance, and build like a tank. The analog/digtal temp adjustable stations are convenient and all, but without frequent calibration, that temp control will go out of wack. You can change the tip temperature on the WTCPT, but you have to get replacement tips that swap in, so it's a bit more involved than a dial.

I use a Weller all day at work with a 700 degree tip for repairing and modifying circuit boards-it does the job well but they are fairly fragile it seems. But using it 40 hours per week would be tough on any station though.

Meant to reply awhile ago.

Thanks everybody for sharing. Its been helpful.

Here is what I'm using at present...likely anything could be better (or at least a new tip???) :eek:

Attachments

• iron_1_3_1.jpg
    iron_1_3_1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 39
Meant to reply awhile ago.

Thanks everybody for sharing. Its been helpful.

Here is what I'm using at present...likely anything could be better (or at least a new tip???) :eek:

For basic cable making, that will be fine but I would not go near a circuit board with that monster. You really need something with reasonable temperature control for that.

Okay. Thank you for the confirmation.

I've got an Antex M2 pencil iron on the way that is 650 degrees at the tip. It looks like it will be much easier to handle.

Back