Thread: Silencing a rattling amp

Thanks

Silencing a rattling amp

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is probably not as cool as some of your mods, but it could be a helpful tip if, like me, you have an amp that rattles. My Crate 65w amp has been rattling for a while, so I decided I was sick of it and looked into it and found that the metal around the actual amp was rattling against the wood enclosure. It's a rather bassy amp and I have a rather bassy guitar, so it made sense that something would rattle. Anyway, I had some Dynamat left over from when I was fixing some rattling in my car (also a result of speakers) and put some strips anywhere that a flat surface of the metal touched the wood enclosure. It is now 100% rattle free

I didn't take any pictures on the way, but if anyone wants me to take some pictures of the now-reassembled amp and point out what I did, I can. The main point of this post, I guess, is to let anyone with this sort of problem know that Dynamat is a good solution. I think I just bought the speaker kit, though any of the kits would probably work (you really just need small strips). They make a spray, too, apparently. That could be fun.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...eaker_kit.html

It's basically just like a thick tape, but specially designed for this purpose.

Thanks
    that's good tip... i always used that foam rubber tape for carpets and caulking doors...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    I use that foam rubber weather stripping. I always had this problem with 4x12 cabinets, so I would take off the back and line the lip that the back screwed into with the foam. I would also do the center post. Then I would put the back back on, and add a screw into the center post.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    I think that you get similar results with any of the stuff. Dynamat is kinda cool and might be a bit thinner then some other options, but I think it's probably also the most expensive... I was just lucky and had some left over. It works really well, though, I can say that much.

Thanks
    Anything that rattles has always annoyed me. In places where heat is not a problem like speaker cabs, grills or sreaker covers, I use self adhesive felt strips. I buy it in sheets and cut it to fit wherever I need it. I've even stuck it to drum rims to stop rattles there too.
    The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. [url]http://www.soundclick.com/sixfeetover[/url]

Thanks
    This stuff is also good on the inside of a computer case btw
    "Default is the value selected by the composer overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by altitude909 View Post
    This stuff is also good on the inside of a computer case btw
    I can't believe I never thought of that... and I've still got almost a full sheet, too. Oh well, it doesn't matter so much now that I'm recording on laptop...

Thanks
    yeah, they actually sell kits for it now but did it years ago when I had some left over from doing my car.
    "Default is the value selected by the composer overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

Thread Information