Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royer Mod starting

Thanks

Royer Mod starting

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK,

This is an oldie but a goodie. Got myself a MXL2001, not working, had some BigUgly version RoyerMod PCB's fabbed and now embarking on this. First time to do a microphone, so I'm going cheaper on this one. Got the PCB, got a 5840. The PCB is for the "BigUgly Mod" which is a mod of the Royer mod to use dual diaprhagm capsules, but the PCB can be used for a conventional Royer mod as well. Bought a $10 KCM transformer from Ebay,. Whole thing shouldn't set me back too much. Will post updates and some pix as this progresses (which knowing me will be slow, so your patience if you are actually interested is appreciated.)

I have extra PCB's too if anyone is interested:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/specia...8/#post3740496
    Last edited by Blue Jinn; 09-06-2011 at 15:45.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Yeah I want to see this happening Blue Jinn.
    I have a few 2001 ..... maybe I'll purchase the PCB's from ya!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Cool. I have a bunch of parts at home, but I've going to just do a Mouser order to make it simpler this time. That way I don't have to whip out the resistor cheater card, and sift through a drawer full of em. Contemplating the capacitor at the moment.... The PCB has a nice tube outline. I could actually bend the leads on the tube and not have them short, but I'll get some kind of insulation on there anyway.

Thanks
    Took apart the MXL2001 (I didn't test it first, I bought it "not working" so don't know what hte problem was with it. Hopefully not capsule....)

Comes apart pretty easy. Set aside the circuit boards to desolder and reuse the 1Gig resistors on the G7.

Some of the resistors I got were a little old and pretty big. The capacitors had to be soldered on the back of the board also due to size. It looks like one of the solder joints may brush up agianst the railing. It connects to ground, so that shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, the board fits fine. The board has a nice round pattern for hte tube, so there aren't any shorts apparent even w/o any shrink tubing on the tube. Transformer fits nicely where the old one was. Not sure the specs on the old one, if it can be reused for something else. I think it is 2:1. If 1:1 could maybe have used on the PRR VariMu.

The brass screw on the XLR stripped right away and I had to drill it out. Don't have all the parts yet, so completed what I could. Pix below:
    Parts:

smallimg_3299-jpg

Progress:

smallimg_3301-jpg

Need some caps etc for the PSU, as well as a transformer. I have a 120-120:12v-12v but it is only 10VA, I don't think I can use one of the 120v windings as a secondary. I have an email into Mableaudio for a custom toroid, see how much that runs.
    Last edited by Blue Jinn; 09-24-2011 at 01:00.

Thanks
    Disassembly of the 2001 is fairly easy and straightforward. The bottom cap unscrews, followed by a larger piece that unscrews. The two boards screw to the side rails with little philips screws. six more screws on the transformer & xlr plug housing. The XLR plug should unscrew, mine wouldn't, and I had to drill it. I have another XLR plug with a proper screw and confirmed it fit fine, but need to get a 5 or 7 pin one. I took off the headbasket to take a look at the capsule, and could not get one of those screws to fit again. I'm sure it will hold together OK with one of them kinda loose, so need to be careful the next time.

Thanks
    The new transformer (KCM from Ebay) is slightly larger then the stock transformer. So I needed to use a power drill and notch out the bottom case just a bit so it would fit. It is a pretty tight fit, and the bell covering it doesnt' line up exactly. With a little patience i could proabablyt make it fit, but it lines up enough to get one railing bolted to it, which is sufficient to keep it in place. It is also a tight fit to run teh extra wires from the 5 pin XLR up and through, but I managed to do it.

Got some five pin XLR's and cable from Vafamsound off Ebay, (Local so shipping was quick) Waiting on a Mouser order for the last components. If that comes today, can finish up and test over the weekend!

Thanks
    Finished up the boards, put mike together. PSU is complete, but not in a case. Damn, those 220uF caps hold a charge a long time. 1K resistor comes in handy.... Want to optest before drilling anymore....

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    HA HA HA HA - did you get bit by that cap BJ?
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    No, but it barked when I set the board down in the PC PSU case I'm going to use.... Funny too, I was getting 100v exactly from the B+ (unloaded) after that it will only go to 99!

I need to move a capacitor tonight on the mic board and then optest.

Thanks
    Optest was initially unsat, I had a cap in the wrong place (no ac ground path for the capsule.) Moved the cap. No problem. Note that BigUgly's boards are apparenlty intended to have solder posts for the capsule leads, I don't have any, so I had to improvise with a nut and screw for that capacitor. No hum even with the shield ungrounded, (and the PSU for that matter,) optest sat when i moved the cap. Mine is a bit noisy, (hiss) but the mic itself is pretty hot, so I don't think the noise is going to be a factor. Have to drill a few holes and install the PSU (recylced computer PSU case.) I don't have a stock 2001, so no basis for before/after comparison at the moment.

Thread Information