Recommendations on DIP sockets?

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Open-frame? Closed-frame?

Gold contacts? Does it matter?

This'd be for 8-pin dual opamp installations...

Any recommendations from the Digikey or Mouser catalogs?

Thanks. ;)

dont bother with the gold... two dissimilar metals put together has electrolysis problems...

actually i never use sockets unless it's something i know i'm going to experiment with.. the reason being that they can cause some problems due to interelement capacitence... ymmv..

For testing...

Thanks for the caution, demented, and the recommendation kubeek...

Yeah, this would just be for a couple spare M-520 channel cards for testing different opamps.

So, any other specific recommendations?

Thanks for the caution, demented, and the recommendation kubeek...

Yeah, this would just be for a couple spare M-520 channel cards for testing different opamps.

So, any other specific recommendations?

I've used THESE in the past, and they work just fine. Then again, I don't have any real experience with any other type.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Just be sure you roll the pins properly. There was a tale that the original Apple II had a high failure rate caused by chips popping out of sockets because the pins were still bent too far outward and their natural springiness pushed the chips out of their sockets. The test? Pick it up and drop it a few inches to reseat the chips. If that fixed the problem, crack the case and push on all of them manually. :D

I just use the super cheap ones that are like 5c a piece and I have never had a problem with chips poping out, they actually hold the chip extremely firmly so I have to use a screwdriver to get the chips out....One thing I do do is I tin the legs of the opamp which seems to protect them from oxidation so the contact stays good but this is just a safety measure on my part.....

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies everybody!

So Am I right that regardless of what sockets I get, I want to order the chips with pins and not solder legs?

No, you would want DIP Chips which have Pins , the ones with solder pads are really small and won"t fit in a Dip socket and they are very hard to work with because of there size....

:D

Right...okay...I've got the difference between the surface-mount chips and the through-hole chips, but there are, for instance, through-hole DIP OPA2134 chips at Mouser that have either pins, or solder tails...If I'm mounting them in sockets I want the former right?

Right...okay...I've got the difference between the surface-mount chips and the through-hole chips, but there are, for instance, through-hole DIP OPA2134 chips at Mouser that have either pins, or solder tails...If I'm mounting them in sockets I want the former right?

I am not aware of a solder legs or tails. There are solder lugs, those have a hole in them for connecting a wire. I am not aware of an opamp package with solder lugs, that's more for chassis-mount stuff like pots and switches.

You have pins on a DIP-8 package or tabs on a SOIC (SMT). You want DIP-8, which is OPA2134PA.

Okay...thx msh et al. I think that's where I was getting confused, though I was looking at the 2134PA so even in my ignorance I was on the right track. :D

Back