Printing legends on to a DIY project. HOW?

Mr Funk

Hi

I am having my Nemesis Q4D dual parametric EQ upgraded and serviced by Gareth Connor, the designer of the unit and I would also like to give it a cosmetic make over too, so that it is a true 'Special Edition'.

I want to spray the unit piano black and have yellow legends/markings and pots/switches, with the Nemesis logo and the signature of the designer in red. I think this will look killer, you guys may disagree?

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK I can get the markings printed back on to the face, or can I get a printers to print me something that I can fix on myself? How tricky would it be and how expensive?

Thanks

Becides doing it by hand yourself or getting an artist to do it or with a stencil or maybe doing a Toner transfer with a color lazer printer I would maybe suggest giveing a look at "front pannel express" http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ ....

They make custom front panels for electronics equipment ... they have a software that you download that you use to design your custom front panel , they do good work but it might be a bit pricey .....

Cheers

Got an inkjet printer??

You can get clear water-slide and pressure adhesive decal papers that run in inkjet printers.

Any graphics program (even the free GIMP.org) will let you design anything you want.

You can even shoot a spray of clear acrylic over top of them to protect them after they're on....

Thanks for that.

Will it look professional? I was going to get a fresh powder coat done on the surface. Will they transfer on to it ok?

Can you please clarify exactly what I need to look for.

Thanks

Actually, the decal route seems way too fiddly and that it would just go wrong and force me to smash things up in frustration.

I think I will try that place, although, I think it will be very expensive.

I make up my front panels in my CAD program, print it out (I have a largish format printer at 13"X19"), and use one copy of that as a drilling template for my chassis. I glue a second copy to the back side of a piece of plexiglass (so you can see the printing through the plexi), and use the pots/jacks to hold that in place. Basically, it's exactly like the face plate on a plexi Marshall, but different. It works well, though, and if you get all the air bubbles out before the glue sets (I use 3M's number 77 spray adhesive), it looks remarkably good. Of course, this has mostly been on amps, so the chassis is getting mounted in a cabinet (though I've used it for one footswitch too), which helps to hide the edges (which are kind of rough looking). You can also just paint the legends on the back side of the plexi and spray paint over it on the back of the plexi, which looks good too.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back