Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Powerless Mixingboard

Thanks

Powerless Mixingboard

Sign in to disable this ad
    I bought this mixingboard a couple years back and it seemed like a killer deal. I guess I forgot the "If it sounds to good to be true, It probably is". It's a nice looking board with a road case, but didn't include the power supply.
    After 2 years of googling and searching, I have come up with nothing. This board never existed.......Maybe If I could read Korean, I might be able to find out something.

Has anyone out there ever heard of a Samick M24 mixer? If so, IYHO, is it worth trying to put together a powersupply for it. If so, where in the world would I start without a schematic with voltages?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails samickm24-jpg  

Thanks
    A close up picture of the back panel might help . . .

Thanks
    Ok, mshilarious,
    I have been reading these forums long enough to know that I am lucky to have you as a source of information. Sorry It took so long to get this pic. I had to run to the studio and yank the board out of storage to get you ,what I think you are looking for, The 5-pin din picture of the power supply hook up. Let me know if this is enough. I do realize that this board would make a great BOAT anchor, since it is very, very heavy.......Let me know if you need more info..........

ADwaz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails samickrear2-jpg  

Thanks
    Is that a 5-pin DIN? I thought MIDI cables used DIN, and that is different. Anyway, there is no hints on the back panel, so if a schemo or service manual is nowhere to be found, you're going to have to open her up.

You might ask on prodigy-pro just to see if someone is familiar with the board. This is kinda a baby DIY board compared with prodigy.

I would guess the pins are ground, +/- rails, +48V phantom, and maybe a low-voltage rail for meters. Wild guess though, and that doesn't tell us how much voltage on the rails, or which pin is which, etc. Also the power supply capacity, but that's easy enough to overengineer.

I might swap out that connector for a 5 pin XLR, just because I like XLRs better, they are cheap, they are latching, and I know what they are . . .

Thanks
    5 pin din, but a tad larger than My 12 channel A,H and B board....I would have tried it if it actually hooked up. Don't give up on me mshilarious, I know you can do it! Isn't it funny that no one has ever heard of a Samick 24 channel board? I will open her up and hopefully there will be a schematic on the inside of the console. I hope! This is a 2-man board. Meaning, it takes two people to hold it so you can open it up. Worst case senerio......We can piece out the channel electronics for the "build your own analog mixer" thread......Way to much of a nubie to know about prodigy-pro, but will try and check there.....
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Wow, need to spend a while on prodigy-pro before i feel comfortable posting there.
    I'll do it.......
    Thanks!

Thanks
    I'm sure you've found the company website, but here's contact info for various countries including the US:
    http://www.samick.co.kr/eng/about/global.php

Have you tried contacting them? (though it looks grim)

And here's a newer version of the M24 (Korean site only):
    http://www.samick.co.kr/eng/products...ct_code=020002

While it's updated from yours, there might be some documentation to be found from the company.
    The contact link is broken (as is half the site), but here's the page:
    http://www.samick.co.kr/eng/customer/contact.php

And here on the US site:
    http://www.smcmusic.com/general_contact.html
    or
    http://www.smcpianos.com/contact.htm

You might ask if they have authorized service centers in any shape or form. If so, they could possibly help you as they would presumably have access to technical info.

Side note: It's exactly the same connector, though gender-opposite, as on my late 80's, English-made Soundcraft 200B. Same pin arrangement and keys around the inside of the barrel (which is threaded and quite secure).

Maybe you'll get lucky and find some info inside chassis... well, probably not. Good luck.

Thanks
    That connector is neither a 5-pin DIN nor 5-pin mini-DIN. The pin layout is completely wrong. This has three across followed by two across. With a 5-pin din, the pins are either arranged in an arc (two variants of this exist) or in a square with the fifth pin in the center. A 5-pin mini-DIN... well, it looks like this:

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...01bd2fbd2ddd41

I guess it could be an 8-pin mini-DIN with two pins removed, but it really doesn't look as small as a mini-DIN....

There's a narrow possibility it might be a CBC5RX. I can't find a photo of one to know for sure.

This connector definitely does not conform to any connector standards used in the last two decades or so. Thus, my gut says your odds of finding this connector are precisely the same as your odds of finding a power supply for this unit---I'm not convinced this connector exists on any other device in existence, or if it does, they're all antiques.

I agree with MsHilarious. Get yourself a 5-pin XLR connector and ditch the connector that's in there currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
    If you mod me down, I will only grow stronger.

Thanks
    Wow, Good job whale, I actually feel a bit of hope after seeing the "New and Improved" M24. Still have the same problem with the broken links. I actually sent an e-mail to the Korean site probably a year ago. Never got a reply.

also, Mshilarius and dgatwood, please forgive my ignorance. Calling that connector a "DIN" was the closest thing I could compare it to. I don't see a problem changing it out to a more conventional connector (5-pin XLR connector) Great Idea.

I will keep you all posted on what I find on the inside.
    Thanks again to all!

Thanks
    It kind of looks like one of those weird variations on XLR plugs that they sometimes use for lighting equipment.

This really is a minor problem to sort out for a technician. What kind of plug is on there really is of no consequince. Any other chasis can be put in there and a proper power supply hooked up. The only problem is to find a good technician that won't use your ignorance (not meant in a bad way) to rip you off.

Like I said in another post, technicians at charity shops have buckets full of power supplies. If he's a nice guy (and people at charity shops often are) he might see about that plug for you too. Give him a nice tip for the shop of course.

Thread Information