To Port or Not To Port: Custom Speaker Design

Jack Russell

I smell home cookin!
I'm building a cabinet that has 4 10" speakers (speakers are designed for guitar--Emmience Ramrods). The design is real basic as in Neanderthalic: 24 inches square and standard depth.

My dilemma: place a port right in the center of the 4 speakers, or not?

The speakers are designed to work "equally well in a ported or non-ported design." So, then why should I port it and how big should the port be?

Background: I'm using this cabinet as an extension speaker for a bass rig, for the high frequencies. The signal will go through a crossover, the lows to two 15" cabs, and the rest to this 4 10" cab. Maybe I'll get a tube amp to make it scream also?

given that it's to be the top cab in a bass rig i'ld leave the ports out... over simplification says the ports are there to extend the bottom and tends to be less tight...

I've thought about making some Variport© type ports on cabinets.

You could have a hole and then a piece of wood you could turn to adjust the size of the aperture.

They do a similar thing in race car side windows that are made out of Lexan if you've seen those.

If the lows aren't going to the cab, it doesn't really matter much. But officially, it depends on the volume of the cabinet. The speakers might be designed to work with either sealed or vented, but not at the same cabinet size. See if they have a recommend cab design for those speakers and follow it.

Back