Oscilloscope Recommendations

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Need help.

I believe I am at the point in my "hobby" where I could benefit from having an oscilloscope on hand. I have very limited experience using one.

I can't afford new and so I'm looking at used but I'm wondering:

1. What is the minimum recommended bandwidth for working with analog audio circuitry?
  2. Any brands/models to seek out?
  3. Any brands/models to AVOID?
  4. Any general questions/points to ascertain on a scope's condition before buying?
  5. Any other pitfalls to watch for?

Thanks in advance.

Sweet, () in short:
Look for 10MHz (or up) two channel with pair of probes included and the one that is described as in "good working condition" :D. If You don't have experience working with a scope you sure would want to have the original manual for the unit.
I can't speculate about brands. I use B&K 15MHz, got it on eBay for $120+Sh , it does pretty much everything I need.
You know, that it's always a risk when buying used off eBay, but, hey ... you can get a nice useful unit for around 100-200 bucks. Take time searching eBay, don't just jump on something, this way you'll collect some "data" before making decission.
Also while you on it , get yourself an adjustable bench power supply (you'd want some unit that gives you dual DC power supply (+ and -) 0-15VDC (for most common circuits), some sort of signal/function generator and a couple of units of breadboards. You'll want to have this stuff. I think I already mentioned this before ;)

Before the ACMP debacle...
which one???:
ACMP American College of Medical Physics
ACMP Accompany
ACMP Acquisition Career Management Program (US DoD)
ACMP Advisory Committee on Marine Pollution
ACMP Alternating Current Motor Pump
ACMP Allied Configuration Management Publication (NATO)
ACMP Annual Cost Monitoring Plan
ACMP Anime Colony Mercenary Police
ACMP Association of Church Musicians in Philadelphia
ACMP Association and Community Managing Professionals (Houston, Texas)
? ? ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:D:p

Yes, MsH, it was at a high frequency, but it should still show up as a smudge on the waveform even at a lower sampling frequency. It just wouldn't be resolvable as a waveform. :)

I've been generally happy with my Tektronix.TDS2014B. :D But I think you'll find that their cheaper models are also solid. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-TDS10...66:2|39:1|72:1240|240:1318|301:1|293:2|294:50

I really prefer the LCD versions because they shouldn't burn in.

I'd recommend getting an old used dual trace 10 to 15MHz scope. Something like this: http://www.used-line.com/c6784003s43-Tektronix_T922R.htm
You should be able to find a large variety of such scopes for under $100. Check your local Craigslist.

This should fulfill your needs for most work for several years. Using it will show you its limitations, and you can then make a more informed decision on a better one, if you're still inclined.

I had a Heathkit single trace 3MHz untriggered scope for many years. Even this was a huge help, with all its limitations, and I wasn't afraid to break into it for mods. And I still have it. :)

There's this USB scope I've been wanting to get, but it's only 200kHz which is barely better than what I can do with audio converters :( I like the small package though :cool:

Anyway, just tonight I've finished up three months worth of work on my portable preamp :) Could have used a scope, but I eventually tamed the oscillation I knew was there but couldn't quite see :o

I like to watch mine in a lisagious pattern going to the beat...I think I might just be just mad enough to add a tesla coil to the laboritory.

Sure you call me crazy...but I will re-animate Micheal Jackson and have my revenge on those little boys that have been walking on my lawn:mad:

Thanks for all the advice/recommendations everybody...it helps a lot. I've used evm1024's tek 465 to diagnose the bias amp on my Tascam 58 and that's about it, but it gave me an idea of how they work and what you use them for...plus I've used a PC-based oscilloscope plugin a number of times to setup azimuth, so I've got a little grounding (pun unintended). Obviously don't need anything fancy, but want something that is reputable and will provide minimums.

Thanks! ;)

i used to like the tecktronics o scopes. I used one while working at xerox, and also came in handy for adjusting anti skate on turntables. yep comes in handy for that too.

Okay...

So there's a Tek 455 60MHz dual trace scope for sale locally...its either $60 or $70...can't recall which. Seller seems straight up, says everything works on it. He is including 2 probes. There is no manual.

What do you think?

If it works and you don't mind that it weighs as much as a Boston Terrier, it should be a good scope. :D

I don't have a dog so having a scope that weighs as much as one will sub nicely.

I've used evm1024's 465 so there is a draw to the familiarity.

Seller says:

"It was fully functional when I last used it on a regular basis, several
years ago. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Both channels
work, triggering works, delayed sweep works. I no longer have a signal
generator so I can't check the bandwidth but don't think there is a problem."

Ain't she purty?

IMG_1386_1_1.JPG

Came with the probes, $70...seller was a really nice guy. Turns out he used to service/inspect/certify avionics for active military surveillance aircraft. Found a full operating and service manual for $12...its all there.

Outside of turning it on and seeing if there are two traces I've done nothing with it, though I'm anxious to do so. There are a whole bunch of controls on this thing that make no sense to me...I'll read the manual. I thought about getting one of the models that has controls like "Cory, use this one first" and "don't touch this one...you have no idea what to do with this one". I got this instead. Oh well...

I seem to recall evm1024's Tek 465 having a cooling fan that ran when you turned it on...this one is silent. I'll have to see if it has one of those special noiseless fans that is static...if so, I'll get one of those noisy dynamic fans.

Back