newbie to build a preamp

corban

So I'm a total noob at electronics, but I do like learning things when doing so saves me money. There's a DIY kit being offered at prodigy pro that ethan pointed out which has everything for a Great River preamp except transformers, power supply, and a case. Is it realistic for me to try this or am I asking for trouble? I don't even really know how to solder properly, although I know a couple people who could do it fine or show me.

A kit is usually a good project. The only barrier is the tools you will need to complete the job:

- decent soldering iron. Something like the Weller WLC100 or better.
- multimeter. The guys on prodigy-pro will help you debug problems, but without a multimeter, you will have no information to help troubleshoot.
- drill press & step bit for drilling holes in the case. If you want to mount something like an IEC power jack, you'll also need a punch, and for stuff like VU meters you need a milling machine.
- hand tools: needlenose pliers, clippers, wire strippers.

If you have friends with that stuff, you can save quite a lot of money.

The only downside to this project is parts of it will be expensive (transformers). Also I don't know if the PSU PCB is part of the kit, but there are plenty of PSU PCB kits out there. Fivefish offers one, but I don't know if it's appropriate for this kit--it's a +/- supply for an opamp, whereas I think the Great River is class A discrete? I don't really know.

IMO, you'd be better off with a much simpler kit at first. The classic first project is a fuzz pedal; they have about six components. It will be a lot easier to figure out which joint is bad, versus the dozens of components in a Neve-ish pre. They also have preamp kits which are supposedly pretty decent, but much easier to put together. I was just looking at Seventh Circle Audio's stuff, they have a recommended first pre project which looks rather straightforward. You'd have to cook up your own PS and chassis.

Just the fact that you don't currently (current! Get it? Wakka wakka!) solder suggests you don't want a kit with 50 resistors and 20 caps.

From looking at that kit myself, I think it will be too complicated for a first timer. Especially when you still have to do the power supply and all the metalwork.

The metalwork if you have never done it before is a real pain for the DIY guy. Even if you have done it before it is a pain.

I also don't know what kind of instructions if any will come with the kit. Which would be fine for an experienced builder. And the rest of the parts are going to be expensive (transformers, etc.).

I would get SCA kit or the Five Fish kit if you need a DIY super clean mic pre. At least with those you get great instructions and a dedicated support person.

Or like another mentioned, start with some simple distortion pedals or buffers.

the guy is now supplying a chassis, that was worrying me too. with that in mind I think I will go for it. This may be a case of me just hearing what I want to hear, but I really want a Great River at that price.

the guy is now supplying a chassis, that was worrying me too. with that in mind I think I will go for it. This may be a case of me just hearing what I want to hear, but I really want a Great River at that price.

There is support on PPro and here when and if you need it. Go to JLM for a Power supply kit (google jlm audio) get it working on the bench and then work on the chassis.

Joe at JLM can get you many things! PS kit with parts, power transformer. He has his own kits and is a regular contributor to PPro.

I have my MP2 kits and can take photos or otherwise help if you decide to go for it.

-_Ethan

You can try out your soldering skills on the power supply.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im quite ok with electronics, I did electonics for both GCSE and A Level and got Bs both times, any one recommend a good sounding preamp i could build?????

And if youve not done any electronics before, Im imagining a decent sounding preamp would be quite difficult. Good place to start is a distortion pedal, I made one ages ago, just a cheap op amp chip like an LM386 and a few comonents around it

man the thread you're in is about a good preamp you could build. the group buy is officially closed but from the sound of it the guy will have extras.

Complexity isn’t too much of an issue with these types circuit, if you can concentrate and follow instructions building things like this isn’t difficult. The only “skill” that’s important is soldering and of course it’s important to know that electricity is dangerous.

As someone already said I’d build a cheap pedal or two before getting to work on something with a few $/£100 worth of parts in it. Soldering isn’t difficult but it’ll take a bit of practice and it’s not too much of a heartbreaker if you’re $20 fuzz box doesn’t work.

Mousedadrummer- the green pre is a bit of a “classic” for a simple IC opamp based mic pre.

http://1176neve.tripod.com/id10.html

The Gyraf G9 is a very nice valve pre, high voltage at some points in the box though so be careful.

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/g9/g9pd.htm

I’ve built both (with very little theoretical knowledge) and they sound great.

There are some good kits too (I’ve built a few JLM pres).

Back