Mystery IC, 6552?

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
I opened up my Tascam RS-20B spring reverb last night to inventory the caps in it, and also wanted to satiate my curiosity as to what opamps were used...no service manual or schematics available for this unit from Tascam...their copy is missing from the file. :eek:

So anyway, each of the two channels utilizes a 2041 each, but then each channel also has two each of a dual-in-line 8-pin IC package that simply has the label "6552" on it. Don't know if this is an AN6552 or what but I'm hoping to try and find a spec sheet on whatever it is. I didn't look at the traces to see how it is being utilized and I'll do that if necessary.

To fill in some of the blanks I've attached a jpeg of the block diagram below. I have a feeling that the 2041 handles the input and output stages of the channel while the 6552 IC's handle the input and output stages specific to the springs since there are actually two springs for each channel; four springs total in the unit.

Attachments

• RS-20B Block Diagram.jpg
    RS-20B Block Diagram.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 99
I use datasheetcatalog.com when ever I have "incomplete" componet's title of interest. Great site, if you eneter part of the componet's "name", it will suggest something, usually (but not always) you'll find something that makes sense.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/N/6/5/AN6552.shtml
Are impruving again? Leave it alone, enjoy it as it is (an often as it should be :p :D )

Sometimes google image search may be a help to find some clues about a mystery component.
Here's some chiken'rice:
:D

Attachments

• chiken_rice.jpg
    chiken_rice.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 94
Are impruving again?

Oh...that's potentially what I'm duing. Dunno. back-burner. caps for sure and thought I'd peek at the opamps while I was in there. It would take little time to swap them out if the iron was hot already and I've got 2134's available. Its a great piece of gear but I struggle to get clarity out of it where I think I should have it in spite of its nature, so its not thinking of impruving for the sake of impruving...

Interesting...when I went to datasheetcatalog.com it led me to a 4558 spec sheet...the sheet actually lists the 6552 as another trade name for the 4558...that would be a choice consistent for the application and the era for Teac.

Thanks for the help and thoughts, Zee...well-received here.

Back