My Latest Mostly DIY Creation..100w Tube/Solid State Guitar Head...

Minion

Blow Me !!!
Hi, I have built a few Solid State guitar amps over the last couple years , All of which I designed and built myself useing my very limited electronics knowlege..A couple of these amps turned out pretty good but they all pretty much had a very limited variety of tones that I could get out of them and didn"t really have the right tones or the power to play live on stage....

So I decided I would try building a Guitar Preamp Kit (Have never built a kit before) and put a Power amp after that to build a guitar amp..after looking at the very limited options in this area I decided to buy the "Stack In A Box" kit from PAiA...It Is a Solid State/Tube hybrid Preamp..It has an Opamp driveing a Starved Plate (45v)12AX7 Tube ,and it has a couple more opamps for the Speaker Simulation options and the Ballanced out...The Kit came with NE5532 Opamps but I changed the input opamp to a TL072 Fet opamp... I also increased the available Gain by 1000%....

The Kit doesn"t have Proper Tone controlls so Instead of Looking for a Tone controll Kit I bought a cheap Mono 15 Band EQ to integrate into the amp for tone controlls..The EQ Is pretty cheap but it sounds good and has lots of featured (Notch Filters, Shelving Filters, High pass/Low Pass ect)

For the power amp section I ended up useing a TDA7293 which is a 100W Mosfet power amp..I am useing the datasheet Curcuit and the Datasheet PCB design, I am useing a 200Va 2x28v Transformer (2X42v DC) with 20,000uf Capacitance per Rail..It should put out 100W according to the datasheet....

Anyways here is a Pic...

Hi, I have built a few Solid State guitar amps over the last couple years , All of which I designed and built myself useing my very limited electronics knowlege..A couple of these amps turned out pretty good but they all pretty much had a very limited variety of tones that I could get out of them and didn"t really have the right tones or the power to play live on stage....

So I decided I would try building a Guitar Preamp Kit (Have never built a kit before) and put a Power amp after that to build a guitar amp..after looking at the very limited options in this area I decided to buy the "Stack In A Box" kit from PAiA...It Is a Solid State/Tube hybrid Preamp..It has an Opamp driveing a Starved Plate (45v)12AX7 Tube ,and it has a couple more opamps for the Speaker Simulation options and the Ballanced out...The Kit came with NE5532 Opamps but I changed the input opamp to a TL072 Fet opamp... I also increased the available Gain by 1000%....

The Kit doesn"t have Proper Tone controlls so Instead of Looking for a Tone controll Kit I bought a cheap Mono 15 Band EQ to integrate into the amp for tone controlls..The EQ Is pretty cheap but it sounds good and has lots of featured (Notch Filters, Shelving Filters, High pass/Low Pass ect)

For the power amp section I ended up useing a TDA7293 which is a 100W Mosfet power amp..I am useing the datasheet Curcuit and the Datasheet PCB design, I am useing a 200Va 2x28v Transformer (2X42v DC) with 20,000uf Capacitance per Rail..It should put out 100W according to the datasheet....

Anyways here is a Pic...

DVC00361.jpg

How does it Sound??? FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I brought it over to my Buddies place the other day and plugged it into his Marshal 4x12 Cabnet and it sounded great and with the EQ I can make it sound like His 1973 Marshal or his Mesa Dual Rec...It really has the most versitle tonal posibilites of allmost any amp I have played , I can even get it to sound good through a Crappy speaker....
And It is LOUD , I was only able to get it to 5 through the 4x12 before it was too loud to comfortably stand....
I"m really happy with this one....

Cheers

Hi, Yes I am going to do some recording with it once I get my Own Cab....

I am actually looking at a 4x12 Cab with jensen speakers , to bad it"s a behringer but it is cheap ($225) and it gets very good reviews....

Ive been playing it through a 12in Fender speaker which sounds really good accept it just doesn"t have that BIG Sound you get from a Cab....

It will probably be a few weeks before I actually get any recording done as I still don"t have a Cab and all my recording stuff is at my Guitarists studio....

Cheers

Nice project, I built the Stack in a Box about 10 years back and I also agree that the tones were limited-and haven't messed with it in years. I built the 4 band parametric eq as well and never thought to combine the 2.
I'm gonna fire those up and see what I've been missing. Thanks for sharing this and jogging my memory--time to disturb the neighborhood for a while!:cool:

Back