My Ghetto-tastic Mint-Chip cinder block speaker stands!

santiu

Rock-scientist
I needed some monitor stands for my Bedroom-Mixing room, so I built some over the weekend. I'm pretty ferakkin happy with how they turned out, so I figured I'd share with the community. Obviously, cinder blocks aren't for everyone, but they seem to be doing a great job holding up the speakers and I think they look kinda cool.

$1.79 per cinder block + $4 for the green paint (from the mis-mixed reject colors bin :p ) + $3 for epoxy + $15 for speaker spikes ( yeah, a little expensive, but cheaper than having a permanent imprint on the carpet and the landlord taking some of my deposit) + $0 for wood disks (has scrap wood around)

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_8834.JPG

(it looks like mint chip ice cream to me with the black speakers and CD cases + green stands)

:DThat's actually VERY cool sir. You get extra points for creativiy.
Thanks man!

Do you have anything between the monitors and the stands? Try some mouse pads, maybe.
I've got three little balls of plumber's putty between each monitor and it's stand. I'd love to try some Auralex MoPads, but $40 is a lot for this setup considering how cheap the stands were, and the fact that I got those monitors second hand for $20.

I second the mouse pads. My monitors are on the meter bridge of my console. I have a 1 1/2" slab of granite and three mouse pas under each one to help decouple them.

I second the mouse pads. My monitors are on the meter bridge of my console. I have a 1 1/2" slab of granite and three mouse pas under each one to help decouple them.

Any idea what the weight of the granite is?

I was thinking about making some lead "decoupling" bases but need to have some idea of how heavy they may need to be.

:cool:

I needed some monitor stands for my Bedroom-Mixing room, so I built some over the weekend. I'm pretty ferakkin happy with how they turned out, so I figured I'd share with the community. Obviously, cinder blocks aren't for everyone, but they seem to be doing a great job holding up the speakers and I think they look kinda cool.

$1.79 per cinder block + $4 for the green paint (from the mis-mixed reject colors bin :p ) + $3 for epoxy + $15 for speaker spikes ( yeah, a little expensive, but cheaper than having a permanent imprint on the carpet and the landlord taking some of my deposit) + $0 for wood disks (has scrap wood around)

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_8834.JPG

(it looks like mint chip ice cream to me with the black speakers and CD cases + green stands)
that looks really cool, i want to get something like that in my bedroom. :D

Everyone wants to " warm up" their recordings these days.
But it's possible to go too far!
These are very cool. So cool they act as a limiter on the "warmth".
Plus everyone is trying to be " green" these days even though it's not easy
being green.
Youve replaced your carbon footprint with a concrete one. A big green round
one at that.
Is the red stuffed character there for sound absorbtion purposes?
And is the bottle on top of the speaker there to help to align phase coherence?
I think you should offer these for sale.
Aftr all, the shipping shouldn't be very much. Easy to pack, too.
Good job.

Thanks man!

I've got three little balls of plumber's putty between each monitor and it's stand. I'd love to try some Auralex MoPads, but $40 is a lot for this setup considering how cheap the stands were, and the fact that I got those monitors second hand for $20.

great diy. I wouldn't drop $40 for the foam pads either.

the putty and there's a bunch of cheap things to de-couple the speakers from the stands. damn nice deal on the monitors, $20 bongo.:D

yes very green.

lol... great DIY project, they look great and work like a charm.

BUT drop the $40, I think those pads are totally worth it IMO

Back