MXL V69 Mod suggestions

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
I picked up a V69 a few weeks ago, as a mod platform for a G7. But the body is about 1/2 inch too short for the G7 PCB. So, inviting suggestions: Should I

1. Leave stock
2. Replace teh capsule with a 47 clone
3. #2 and a BigUgly Royer mod (dual capsule)
4. Replace capsule with a dual k67 clone and do a BigUgly RoyerMod
5. Do a G7 using BigUgly's boards (requires five parts to be wired off board.)
6. Do a single sided G7 with (?) Capsule and stock PSU?
7. Do a Royer mod w/ full size tube (6AK5)
8. ?

I know its a bit off piste here but can i ask what sources do you use the mxl v69 for more sounds ?

My favorite is room microphone on drums. some and I mean some vocals.

Interesting. I'm still tempted to gut it and make either a G7 like microphone or a BigUgly Royer. Part of me also really wants to try the BigUgly/Royer with a 6AK5 instead of a 5840.

see new thread comparing V69ME (before/after Mullard tube upgrade) vs. Studio Projects C1 vs. MXL 990 here:

Mic Shootout: MXL 990 vs. Studio Projects C1 vs. MXL V69 (+/-Mullard tube)

Mxl v69

Why mess with a V69. They are great mics. If you want to mod a mic, start with a V67 or some cheaper mic. The V69's hold up against mics 5 to 10 times their price. You can change the tube if you need to for different sounds. (7025, 12AT7, 12AY7, etc.)

I don't have the mic anymore, actually traded it for a 2006, some capsules, transformers and a Green pre board. Anyway, I bought it specifically as a mod platform, there was a problem (with the cable AFAIK), which created some crackle and hum, and it was priced accordingly. I seemed to have fixed that however, before I traded it on. I am still interested in doing a royer with a 6AK5 as soon as I find an appropriate platform and I plan to swap capsules, and do a partial zapnspark mod on the 2006 (direct connect)

Back