Motu 828mk2 gain pot replace/repair

Hey all,

Some of you may know that Motu 828mk2s have a known fault with their mic preamp 1+2 gain pots.
They are obscure dual pots on a single wafer - both tracks are Rev Log, and one of them carries voltage.

If I understand correctly, the material between the tracks breaks down (or something?), eventually causing constant crackling and popping.
It's nothing to do with wiper contact - This occurs constantly without touching or adjusting the pot, even after thorough disassembly and cleaning.

Apart from the pots being extremely uncommon values, repair is made difficult because they are mounted on a daughter board an inch or two away from the faceplate.
You can see the black 4-pin headers in the pictures.

I elected to order up custom dual pots (dual wafer) and mount them directly to the faceplate, doing away with the daughter board entirely.

The drawback of this is that my pots have larger shafts than the originals, so the original black caps couldn't be used,
but I threw mine away a long time ago. It's probably possible to get custom pots with the right shaft size.

Anyway, here are some pics of what I did.
It's been working perfectly for a number of weeks now and, more importantly, isn't going to suffer the same fate as the original pots.

Edit: Minimum order value bought me three pots, so I bought four @ £40 to make it two pair.
If anyone would like to buy the other two, give me a shout.

Order was from Omeg UK.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.png

Back