Monitor Polarity

disgruntled-inc

Detachable Member
Hey everybody,

Not sure if this is the right forum, my first post on this BBS, but I have a pretty basic question.

I want to reverse the polarity on one of my monitors so that I can do the record a vocalist with two monitors blaring at him in mono trick. My question is, instead of cracking into the monitor, can I just reverse/re-solder the tip and the ring on one end of one of the TRS cables going to the monitor? Basically make myself a TRS crossover.

Thanks,
Wes

Hey everybody,

Not sure if this is the right forum, my first post on this BBS, but I have a pretty basic question.

I want to reverse the polarity on one of my monitors so that I can do the record a vocalist with two monitors blaring at him in mono trick. My question is, instead of cracking into the monitor, can I just reverse/re-solder the tip and the ring on one end of one of the TRS cables going to the monitor? Basically make myself a TRS crossover.

Thanks,
Wes
Yes, you can.....

Just make sure to mark the cable so you won't forget about it later on!

Awesome

You know, I am just absent minded enough to do that too. I'm sure that would make for an interesting mixing environment. :p

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

-Wes

I'd probably make a short 1/4" female to 1/4" male jumper with the polarity reversed so it could be easily added and removed. Or perhaps a box-mounted or just shrink-wrap-covered 1/4" chassis-mount jack to a male 1/4" to avoid the not-so-reliable 1/4" female jacks.

Would the phase (timeing delay between the monitors a mic creating a phase offset) be an issue with this?

Back