Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mod Allen & Heath for direct outs?

Thanks

Mod Allen & Heath for direct outs?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey, guys (are there gals on here?).

An Allen & Heath SR 424 (allen-heath.com/veterans/sr.htm) mixer has recently come into my possession. It has great pre's/EQ and I really wanted to use it in my computer set-up (16 channels), but the damn thing has no direct outs.

Is it possible to modify the board and put in my own direct outs? Is it as simple as finding where the signal goes from the individual channel to the main out?

I'm reasonably competent when it comes to electronics and soldering and such, but would it be worth my time?

Any tips/tricks from any of you experienced mod'ers? What's a good brand of jacks to use? What kind of wire for the internal connections?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new mixer?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Well, if you really wanted to, you should be able to tap off of the fader, and have a post fader direct out.

Thanks
    That's what I was intending. I just want some input as to whether it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Also, what materials (jacks, wires, etc.) I should be looking at.

Thanks
    Check the manual or email A&H, because a lot of their boards have internal options that could make that mod quite easy. I'm not familiar with that board though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious View Post
    Check the manual or email A&H, because a lot of their boards have internal options that could make that mod quite easy. I'm not familiar with that board though.

It's from the Mid 80's - it's a good board, but it is really kind of barebones; a friend had one... I think that model sold for around $1,500 in say... 1985 or 1986.... I remember thinking that was a small fortune for a mixingboard considering we paid $2,500 for a huge (used) 24-channel Peavey soundsystem with 6 CS800 and 2 CS400 amplifiers. LOL

Thanks
    you want the outputs to be pre-fader... either pre/post eq... alotta ahb boards have internal jumpers so you can config the sub groups or sends pre/post... that's where i'ld be looking to tap in... what kind of convertor are you useing??? does it want balanced outputs feeding it???
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Well, if you wanted them prefader, you could just install a patch point using a 1/4" TRS Jack (IIRC it's a closed circuit jack - you'd have to look at the jack - the one you'd need has an extra piece on it that makes contact when there is no jack present in the return section of it - so that teh signal will continue through the channel like a normalled patchbay.) Your option would be to either go pre or post EQ, or I guess if you really wantedto get into it, you could make it switched so you could flip back and forth between the two.

Tim

Thanks
    what the troll is not taking into account is the points he's suggesting you use may not be able to drive the output... muchless the output and whatever it is already driving... do your homework... unless you think screwing up a good old board is fun.... ymmv..
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    I would agree its not worth screwing it up just to obtain a quick fix for your direct out problem. At the very least you can use the inserts as Direct outs just so you can utilise the pre-amps.

I would buy a new mixer personally.

Thanks

I Want the Exact Same Thing

I know this is quite an old thread I'm bumping, but I'm really curious how this situation was resolved. Wondering if the OP ever actually tried to mod the board. I'd like to do the exact same thing to an SR8, and I could use guidance. Thank you!

Thread Information