M Audio Dx4 issues

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
So after more than a few years of mixing and listening with my trusty little M Audio monitors I have my first issue...

They make a loud low freq buzz and the woofer blows out like I driving it with a load of [C]rap music run as full blast!

I turn them off and the woofer releases again, but off course I cannot get any other sound to pass through besides the low buzz... I am guessing this buzz is somewhere in the 80Hz range or so which is about as low as the things can go... Anybody know a way to fix this or am I screwed?

Well the problem could be any number of things , All of which would need some equipment and some electronics knowlege to diagnose , at least a Digital Multi Meter .....

The Speaker excursion points to there being DC at the speaker output , the cause of which could be a Fried Chip , a short or a fried component .....

You could open it up a look for something that is Visibly fried and go from there but many times components will not show any outward sign that they are fried .....

Cheers

Wait... both speakers are doing this all of a sudden? Don't they have separate amplifier circuits? Could there be something massively wrong with your building's electrical wiring? Or a lightning strike? Or something wrong with whatever is driving the speakers? Normally, you wouldn't expect two speakers to fail in the same way at the same time. That's usually a sign that the problem is elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

I don't know if these have two amps or one come to think of it...

I have had them plugged into my Furman rack mounted power distro since they came into use...

I am guessing something like the first reply said... I might email M Audio and see what they have to say about this, they may be able to shed some light on the issue...

But it may well just be time to upgrade to something nicer anyway... Shame really because I think these things sound pretty good for the money.

I don't know if these have two amps or one come to think of it...

Do you plug a power cord into both of them? If so, then each speaker has a separate amp. That's the way my BX8s are built, anyway. If they each have an independent amp, then there's really little chance the speakers have both gone bad in the same way at the same time. It is far more likely that whatever is feeding audio to the speakers is at fault.

nope only one power cable on these suckers so the other one has to be passive, and the feed is just the output of my firepod...

not the firepod, I think it's just cheap chinese crap for monitors... They want $40 an hour to fix the suckers and $15 in parts to do it! Screw em! I will may just mod them someday into either working passively or throw a whole new amp in there from Dayton Audio... I think they had a few for like... $20 that would fit...

Back