LME49860 opamp buy

evm1024

Hi All,

I'll be buying at least 100 LME49860 opamps RSN (real soon new) This gets me into the under $3.00 USD per device range.

The offer is: If you want some of these I will add your request onto my order and charge you actual cost plus shipping and any paypal fees.

I'll be ordering the 8 pin dip package.

The datasheet is at: http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LME49860.pdf

List price is $5 each and some fool is selling 2 for 12.95 on eBay.

Why use this opamp? Well it does handle 22v rails and has great specs as well as sounding good to many ears. And $3 is not bad!

Here is the National writeup:

The LME49860 is part of the ultra-low distortion, low noise, high slew rate operational amplifier series optimized and fully specified for high performance, high fidelity applications. Combining advanced leading-edge process technology with state-of-the-art circuit design, the LME49860 audio operational amplifiers deliver superior audio signal amplification for outstanding audio performance. The LME49860 combines extremely low voltage noise density (2.7nV/ √^Hz) with vanishingly low THD+N (0.00003%) to easily satisfy the most demanding audio applications. To ensure that the most challenging loads are driven without compromise, the LME49860 has a high slew rate of ±20V/μs and an output current capability of ±26mA. Further, dynamic range is maximized by an output stage that drives 2kΩ loads to within 1V of either power supply voltage and to within 1.4V when driving 600Ω loads.

The LME49860's outstanding CMRR (120dB), PSRR (120dB), and VOS (0.1mV) give the amplifier excellent operational amplifier DC performance.

The LME49860 has a wide supply range of ±2.5V to ±22V. Over this supply range the LME49860 maintains excellent common-mode rejection, power supply rejection, and low input bias current. The LME49860 is unity gain stable. This Audio Operational Amplifier achieves outstanding AC performance while driving complex loads with values as high as 100pF.

i dont need any at present but i can vouch for them... that's one of several op-amps i recommended for SB's M520 project... way cool part...

I employed the LME49860 in my RX-7 on the bus modules and was very happy with their performance. Newark had a special on them last spring and I was able to get them for $3 and change in the single quantities. They sold out really fast ;)

If you are looking for a more affordable device with sound like the LME49860 look into the TLE2141.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tle2141.html

I experimented with these in my RX-7 and honestly couldn't hear much difference between them and the LME49860. The specs don't look as good for the TLE2141 but my ears really couldn't tell. It's another great sounding device for about half the price.

4 vs 10

So what's the current draw on an LME49860 compared to the OPA2134? Wondering about PS impact...

The opa2134 idles at 4 mA per amp (8 mA per dual) the LME49860 idles at 10 mA per amp (20 mA per dual)

About 2.5 time more.

Keep in mind that each opamp can drive about the same load current.

opa drives 35 mA the LME drives 31 mA.

Max current is: opa 40, lme 53.

So I would guess that your idle current dissapation would be 2.5 times greater but your full signal use would be close to the same. The PS would need to be sized to handle full load current draw plus a comfortable margin. At least well designed PS are that way (and the PS-520 is)

--Ethan

Cool that makes sense...I think...

If I understand correctly, in analogous terms, the engine (PS) will need to idle at, say, 2000rpm instead of 800rpm to support the mods, and the redline will need to be about 25% higher, but that's no trouble since the engine in this case (the PS-520) has a redline much higher than even the 25% over stock demand?

This is assuming a board loaded with LME49860's yes?

Thats true

Higher idle is normal in a performance engine. Gotta over come those cams.

Now to the real news - Ordered a pile of opamps today. Looking forward to getting them in and selling some on eBay for an arm and a leg to pay for those that I need.

So, the TLE2141...

So Somnium (or anybody of course)

If you had a choice between the OPA2134 and the TLE2141, disregarding price, which would you choose?

And would I be looking for option 1, option 2, or option 3?

At any rate am I correct in assuming that the TLE2141 would (as with the OPA2134) be an improvement over the TL072?

unless i'm experiencing another brain fart i dont think you want any of those options... i thought it said they're all single op-amps... op1 was suggested for single supply low voltage designs... though the others did show similar specs... op2 was generic use... op3 can't remember exactly what the "A" designates exactly but IIRC it's tighter tolerance and hotrodded somehow... and yes they would be way past the tl072's though they were very cool at the time... but tech marches on...

Well...duh...no wonder they're so cheap...they are singles. The 2142 is comparable in price to the LME chip in quantity, so...hm.

Thanks for posting that, demented.

OpAmp research

opa drives 35 mA the LME drives 31 mA.

This is driving me nuts...how do you figure out the above?

There is some inconsistency in the data sheets for different opamps, and typically nothing that says "here's the maximum drive of this opamp".

Can anybody help? I'm still trying to ascertain a compatible replacement for the JRC455x chips...

Its in the data sheet. Iout is standard specd output current. They state the PS voltages and load (+-20v and 600 ohms in this case for 31 mA on the lme)

Iout-cc is also specd as +53,-42 mA (Current out short circuit current)

Don't over think this.

Don't over think this.

AUGHHHAAUUGHHHH THE AGONY!!!

Iout is standard specd output current. They state the PS voltages and load (+-20v and 600 ohms in this case for 31 mA on the lme)

Okay...Roger that. I get it.

Iout-cc is also specd as +53,-42 mA (Current out short circuit current)

Oh...kaayyyy...I'm doing what you told me not to do. If I'm thinking right, this specification isn't necessarily important to what I'm trying to understand, right? It isn't necessarily an operational specification? Sort of analogous to "How many RPM's will an automotive engine turn with a stuck throttle?"

Now, as I indicated I see what you are talking about on the LME49680 data sheet, but others are not so easy as far as I can tell:

TL072 data sheet doesn't seem to list it anywhere...I guess it is possible to extrapolate data from the graphs...
2041 data sheet...can't find "1OUT" or "Io" or anything like that...they kindly list it in the Features section on page 1, but the stated "25mA" does not necessarily tell the whole picture...
455x data sheet is like the 2041, though, again, they list it in the Features section on page 1 as 70mA but there is no voltage reference.
OPA2134 data sheet has it in the specs and even lists it as "Output Current". Halleluiah!!
TLE2142 data sheet...okay...there it is. Listed as "Output Current Io" in the maximum ratings. 80mA...wait...80mA??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:...Good CMRR...nice slew rate...noise and distortion good also...$1.70 each at quantity 25! So that could be a really good option as a drop-in upgrade for the 455x chips, yes???? I could use 2134's to swap out the TL072's and 2041's, and the 2142's in place of the 4556's/4558's yah???

Back