Just finished my DIY studio desk

Rich_S

I just finished this today:

CKeeaAC.jpg

L6vwJtR.jpg

I built it on the cheap, largely out of leftover lumber that was taking up space in the garage. The desk top and shelf are made from OSB underlayment left over from the "water heater failed and melted the bathroom floor" remodeling job. I prettied up the OSB by laminating on scraps of cheap 1/4" Luan plywood from the "keep the cat from shredding the bottoms of all the box springs" project, then finished them off with 1/4" oak strips from Lowe's and four coats of varnish that was on the shelf from God know when.

The frame is just construction grade 2x6 studs, with a substantial amount Plastic Wood filling in the screw holes and the worst imperfections. They're still pretty rough, but the flat black paint hides it.

The speaker stands have been around for a couple of years, but were similarly constructed of leftover junk. The tops are cutoffs from oak stair treads. The uprights are galvanized tubing I salvaged when we got rid of the kids' old trampoline, filled with tube sand that we carry in our car trunks in the winter.

Last edited:
Awesomely resourceful dude!

A depression era saying that I LOVE....

Use it up
Wear it out
Make due
Or do without

I grew up in construction so I suffer from what I know as opposed to out of the box thinking you did here... In other words having the same raw materials I would have went about it differently. (not necessarily any better) I think yours came out very cool looking on the cheap.....The floor part of the monitor stands...clever...Curious why sand in the tubes ( So they would no reverberate or rattle? ) also curious how you attached the stair tread to the pole..

Any way good job Mang!

The tops are screwed & glued to a short piece of 2x2, carved down to fit inside the tubes. Regarding the sand, I made this little video as I was filling them up:

Thats a great build and space you have there. How do you like the Vox? I've been thinking of getting one for bedroom recording

That's one nice looking desk. I like the lots of space and what you did with the angled legs.

It must be handy to have the receiver right there in reach.

Back