Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Jrc 4558d(x)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    satan's taint
    Age
    8
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    11594461

    Jrc 4558d(x)

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I pays to read the DIY forum!

    I took Somnium7 up on his offer for the old opamps he pulled out of the RX-7

    Now back in the day, I played metal using an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS10, and I thought it sounded fantastic. I stomped it to death. A couple of years ago, I tried to reclaim the sound by picking up a TS10 on the bay. To my dismay, it sounded awful with my amp (the same one).

    Anyway, I opened it up, and the opamp in the TS-10 is a 4558D JRC with the number 0183B. I pulled it out and put in a socket. Then I put in one of Somnium7's - it's a 4558DX JRC with the number 1249 --- and I GOT MY SOUND BACK!!! I'm doing backflips. I don't know what was in the old one.

    Now I'm eyballing my [son's] Fulltone Fulldrive 2, which has a 4558D JRC with the number 2062B, but it's not socketed. Don't know if I have the cojones to take the iron that unit, but it wasn't too hard with the TS10. It already sounds pretty good, but it's hard to stop once you start doing this, isn't it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    st lou burb
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,704
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    1298057
    those secondary numbers are production date codes... good luck... if you're carefull with the desoldering in particular you'll be ok... too much heat on a pin can lift the associated pad and then the horror stories begin...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

    hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11,510
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Cut the old opamp out before you desolder, much easier that way. Of course you have to be sure you don't want the old opamp!

    If you have a good desoldering tool, you can do without that, I think Somnium's desolder gun is $200 or so

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,743
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    3408652
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious View Post
    Cut the old opamp out before you desolder, much easier that way. Of course you have to be sure you don't want the old opamp!

    If you have a good desoldering tool, you can do without that, I think Somnium's desolder gun is $200 or so
    Eh. Use a solder wick to remove the solder and you shouldn't have trouble lifting traces. Where I usually lift traces is putting the new parts into the holes because they aren't clean, not pulling the old ones out....
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
    If you mod me down, I will only grow stronger.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    satan's taint
    Age
    8
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    11594461
    I've got the $8 plastic spring loaded solder sucker. It actually worked like a champ on the Ibanez pedal. The thing about the Fulltone is that it already sounds good -- at least with the Ibanez, if I destroyed it, it was no big loss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    vurginya, yew esss of ayyy
    Age
    48
    Posts
    807
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    104527
    Quote Originally Posted by antichef View Post
    Then I put in one of Somnium7's - it's a 4558DX JRC with the number 1249 --- and I GOT MY SOUND BACK!!! I'm doing backflips. I don't know what was in the old one.
    Glad to hear that worked out alright.

    I never was able to find any documentation or datasheet that says anything about the DX version of this IC. I can only imagine it is a higher voltage version of the original since they can be powered from +/- 22V. If that is the case there is a chance a different manufacturing process was used on this series.

    Would love to know the true story though....

    They are nice sounding devices and surprisingly quiet. They have a pronounced smear to the upper mids and a considerable roll-off on highs but even these sonic flaws sound good in certain situations.
    This is why I will leave these installed for a certain number of my input channels. I love the huge improvement in sound quality I'm getting with my upgraded channels but it's nice to have that vintage tone too.
    If you could see crime in a mans face we wouldn't have any mirrors - H. Bogart
    Somnium7
    Somnium7 on MySpace

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,743
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    3408652
    Quote Originally Posted by antichef View Post
    I've got the $8 plastic spring loaded solder sucker. It actually worked like a champ on the Ibanez pedal.
    I freaking hate those things. It's such a pain in the backside to get the tip down close enough to suck off the solder before the solder cools to the point that it is no longer liquid. Once you try a solder wick, you'll never go back to those nightmarish contraptions.

    With a solder wick, you place it beside the solder joint and heat the joint. As the solder liquifies, it flows right off the joint onto the wick and you are left with bare metal and a solder-coated strip of wick. Nothing could be more painless. I've used solder wicks to desolder 7-point potentiometers (three signal contacts and four metal frame structural "contacts") in seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
    If you mod me down, I will only grow stronger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    336138
    Quote Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
    I freaking hate those things. It's such a pain in the backside to get the tip down close enough to suck off the solder before the solder cools to the point that it is no longer liquid. Once you try a solder wick, you'll never go back to those nightmarish contraptions.

    With a solder wick, you place it beside the solder joint and heat the joint. As the solder liquifies, it flows right off the joint onto the wick and you are left with bare metal and a solder-coated strip of wick. Nothing could be more painless. I've used solder wicks to desolder 7-point potentiometers (three signal contacts and four metal frame structural "contacts") in seconds.
    +1 on the solder wick (aka desoldering braid), you can get it fluxed also so it really sops it up

    http://www.techspray.com/newinfo/prowick.pdf
    "Default is the value selected by the composer overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    satan's taint
    Age
    8
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    11594461
    I also use that copper braided desoldering ribbon stuff -- is that different from a wick? I actually had a good easy, worked-on-the-first-try type of experience with the $8 sucker along with my $8 soldering iron. I had a much worse experience doing similar things on my Art Tube MP preamp - I think that was a difference in the circuit board ... it was a nightmare, but the I did get through it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    satan's taint
    Age
    8
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    11594461
    Well, the Fulldrive2 is safe from me - the circuit board is mounted on posts, and someone wrote his/her initials on it and put clear glue over it, sort of like a personal seal -- I'm not going to break the seal

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •