Headphone monitoring dual sources

keith.rogers

I need to be able to monitor two headphone outputs and be able to either switch between them or adjust the mix so I can hear more of one or the other, but not completely switch it out. I could use a small-ish mixer, but I'm wondering if it's possible to simply make a small box using only a double-ganged potentiometer, and maybe a couple switches. Or, do I need to employ some kind of isolating transformers?

I can solder cables and even made my stereo preamp and amp (dynakit) back in the 70s, but beyond guitar wiring or perhaps motorcycles, I'm fairly clueless...

I need to be able to monitor two headphone outputs and be able to either switch between them or adjust the mix so I can hear more of one or the other, but not completely switch it out. I could use a small-ish mixer, but I'm wondering if it's possible to simply make a small box using only a double-ganged potentiometer, and maybe a couple switches. Or, do I need to employ some kind of isolating transformers?

I can solder cables and even made my stereo preamp and amp (dynakit) back in the 70s, but beyond guitar wiring or perhaps motorcycles, I'm fairly clueless...

You are on the right lines Keith you need a dual ganged linear* potentiometer of about 100 Ohms, might be a tricky thing to source but I shall have a look for you.

Can you build from a simple schematic? I can rough something out for you by tomorrow morning.

* You really need some weird " log to some fancy exponent" that starts in the middle of the track and develops as you move to each end. 'k'nows what that would be and I can't think anybody makes it. Linear will give a strange law to the sound and even at one end you will get some bleed thru of the other source. You can modify things ad inf by the use of "law bending" resistors and I shall include some idea with the scribblings. A lot depends on the source resistance of each HP amp and the impedance of the cans.

POTENTIOMETER DUAL KD2G100S101UA - 100-Ohm LINEAR 1/4" - Allen Bradley *UNUSED* | eBay

Best I can find so far, pricey mind!
Dave.

Last edited:
Back