Great River MP-2 Mic pre

evm1024

Over on protegy pro there has been a parts kit for the Great River MP-2 mic pre. This is with the blessing of Dan Kennedy.

Currently there is an effort to do a second run of these very clean mic pre's. I think that this is YOUR chance to get going on a top of the line pre for your studio.

Go here: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29360

There is lots of help for building the MP-2 (I've got 2 myself from the first run) and it couuld be fun.

I plan on adding perhaps 6 more kits....

Regards, Ethan

This looks cool -- but if you don't have a prodigy pro account (like me -- mine was never confirmed, probably because I'm an idiot), how do you get in on it?

Best to sign up

Its best to sign up so that you can follow along and ask questions as needed. But if you get really in a bind I could order for you....

Its best to sign up so that you can follow along and ask questions as needed. But if you get really in a bind I could order for you....
I'm all for signing up -- in fact I did create an account ("antichef") on the forum on May 28 of this year, but it's still not activated. Any trick to getting some love from the admin?

hmmm...i wonder how much those fulll kit versions will cost?

I wonder too. In the past there was a cost for the PCB and parts plus you couuld buy the multiposition switch (recommended) and I think that set me back (don't quote me) less than $100 per channel. Then there is the transformer options. Look for a group buy for the transformers of your choice or just buy them.

Less than $200 per channel for a $600 per channel pre....

regards Ethan

PS but don't take any price I quoted as reality. I'm waiting to see what Ptownkid can come up with. Bought many things from him - trustworthy.

I've never done anything with a parts kit, how does it work? What would I all have to do to assemble it?

I've never done anything with a parts kit, how does it work? What would I all have to do to assemble it?

Lots of help over at protege pro - And some here.

In general you get the PCB and most parts. You put the parts in the PCB and solder them in. Then you wire up the Switch and transformers. Now you need a Power supply (something like the ones from JLM works great) and a box to put it all in.

It is DIY for sure.

I've been thinking of getting some of those cheap (as in low $) Beheringer 2 channel mic pres in 1U boxes. Gutting them and putting my existing MP-2 in.

-Ethan

i signed up there but am also waiting to be admitted.

so a full parts kit would include everything except for a power supply? i see they're talking about a chassis as well. If things go into motion before the admins approve me I'd really appreciate if you could order 2 for me ethan.

Full parts kits appear to be $80 each, Switch is $35 then add in your choice of transformers ($75+ for input only) and find a case and PS....

You will be able to order from ptownkid's website.

--Ethan

Two questions here:
1) is this kit all that you need to build the pre?
2) Does anyone know how close these pres are supposed to come to the real thing?

It's a little hard to believe that this kit will build you a pre equivalent to the 2k version.

Two questions here:
1) is this kit all that you need to build the pre?
2) Does anyone know how close these pres are supposed to come to the real thing?

It's a little hard to believe that this kit will build you a pre equivalent to the 2k version.

Do it right and it will.

Well

The kit is a great river MP-2 (not the MP-2NV version). Some of the parts have been supplied by Dan Kennedy from left over stock from the production runs. (Inductors for example) The board layout is from original artwork that Dan supplied (If I recall correctly).

The original thread is here: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20333&highlight=great+river+mp2

To answer your questions:

This kit is the real thing (MP-2 not MP2-NV) published with approval and support from the designer.

The kit has everything except the transformers, case and powersupply and the knob of your choice.... Not a never done DIY kit but very complete.

This is the second round of kits - I have 2 channels and am adding 2 more. This is a very clean and transparent pre.

Regards, Ethan

Oh, here is a review from 1999 http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_great_river_electronics/

Last edited:
Hello, I know this thread is old but perhaps someone could answer to me!
I'm new in preamp DIY build, but I build some microphone.
Excuse my langage, I'm french. I hope I don't make to much mistakes...
I woul'd like to know which transformer you used in your GR preamp, please.
I read cinemag, but I don't know wich one.
Thank you.
I wish you a good day.

Adrien.

Hello, I know this thread is old but perhaps someone could answer to me!
I'm new in preamp DIY build, but I build some microphone.
Excuse my langage, I'm french. I hope I don't make to much mistakes...
I woul'd like to know which transformer you used in your GR preamp, please.
I read cinemag, but I don't know wich one.
Thank you.
I wish you a good day.

Adrien.

I believe they left the factory with Jensen JT-13K7 1:5 transformers

Back