Fixing dead channels in Soundcraft Two Series

caldrenfitz

I've got a 40 channel Soundcraft Series Two, and recently channels have been going dead without warning (up to 8 now), spread out across the board. Does anyone know what would cause this? Is my power supply frying these, does it just need a good cleaning?
Thank you for your time.

Are the "dead" channels being sent to the same group bus? I had a mixer problem once that I thought was dead channels. It turned out that one of the group bus cards needed to be recapped. I went ahead and recapped all of the group cards while I was in there, 52 electrolytics replaced in total. I probably should've recapped the channel cards too, as many posters here would recommend; but I was tired of soldering after all of that, and doing just the group cards solved my problem. The levels all match exactly when calibrating the mixer against a multitrack recorder now.

no, it's not a group bus issue, it's individual channels. It seems like the preamps go bad or something. trims get sketchy and then just go out.

Sketchy as in scratchy???

I don't know the right answer for you, but I DO know this; A thorough cleaning of all the components can't hurt. It can only help. And it may just fix your problems.

I've had channels that didn't "work" and a good cleaning and massaging and exercising of all the pots and switches brought it right back to life.

So for you it could be as simple as that.....or........could be more complex.

But the cleaning is worth a try. wont cost you anything except some Deoxit and some time.

:D

I don't know this board, but I know that it's not uncommon in the Ghosts for the switched jacks to go flaky and cause troubles. The headphone output is often the culprit in those, but mine also had problems with some of the insert jacks. If those switch contacts get oxidized, and stop making a good connection, it interrupts the signal, and things will get "flaky" and/or go dead. It almost sometimes seems to help to goose the gain and slam a huge signal though, but that's not a fix. They're supposed to be self-cleaning, but that only works if you're actually plugging and unplugging fairly regularly.

It's probably too much to hope that this is your problem, but it's something to investigate, and a relatively easy fix.

Back