First sounds from a modular

evm1024

I decided a while ago that I wanted to put together a modular synth. I ran across Synthesizers.com which sells both full systems and individual modules as well as a pay as you go starter system. At this point I've got enough modules to hear the first sounds. So far so good - a lot to learn. MIDI from Rosegarden to the MIDI in module to the first osc and thus to a VCA.

With telescopes you celebrate first light. So this is a first sound celebration with a little Bach, Pachebel and Mussorgski followed by a Merlot....

Attachments

• modlar.jpg
    modlar.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 56
  • modular-1.jpg
    modular-1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
I've been working on a phantom-powered theremin project; it's done prototyping and I've had "first sounds from outer space" already :) Man, I sure love that UAD Space Echo :cool:

Schemo will be up on my site soon. It's only four transistors, but a buttload of capacitors . . . about forty components total.

I've been working on a phantom-powered theremin project; it's done prototyping and I've had "first sounds from outer space" already :) Man, I sure love that UAD Space Echo :cool:

Schemo will be up on my site soon. It's only four transistors, but a buttload of capacitors . . . about forty components total.

that would be cool! I remember making one when I was about 10. It was one of the projects in a De Forest electronics kit from the '60s.

Let's see, first souund, first oil, first hand wave!

--regards

PS Thanks for the capsules They arrived safely - would have PM'd you....

Congrats on the modular! Be warned - you will never complete this project!!! :eek: It will force you to keep expanding it indefinitely and eventually take over your life and all you will do is build new modules for it until you die :rolleyes:
It's happened to me, I know! I had to get professional help and enroll in rehab after building two large systems :D

Any plans for building your own modules from scratch?

If you haven't done it already you might want to consider joining the Synth-DIY mailing list. It is hugely helpful and educational.

that would be cool! I remember making one when I was about 10. It was one of the projects in a De Forest electronics kit from the '60s.

I imagine the circuit's not too different; I adapted my from an article written in 1995, just changed the power supply and the output mostly, and tried to reduce the unnecessarily large number of component values . . . I would have liked to add at least two more transistors, but this isn't a project for money so I kept it simple.

Congrats on the modular! Be warned - you will never complete this project!!! :eek: It will force you to keep expanding it indefinitely and eventually take over your life and all you will do is build new modules for it until you die :rolleyes:
It's happened to me, I know! I had to get professional help and enroll in rehab after building two large systems :D

Any plans for building your own modules from scratch?

If you haven't done it already you might want to consider joining the Synth-DIY mailing list. It is hugely helpful and educational.

Thanks for the advise on the mailing list. I've been looking at some lists trying to decide on the hughedt signal to noise ratio.

As for building - a LFO module comes to mind. Nice that dot.com sells blank panels.

The De Forrest kit was tube based on 4 x 4 phenolic boards. Lots of fun and learning. I really don't remember much about the circuit. Fun for a while then pull it apart and build one of the other projects (FM transmitters!)

-Ethan

The De Forrest kit was tube based on 4 x 4 phenolic boards. Lots of fun and learning. I really don't remember much about the circuit. Fun for a while then pull it apart and build one of the other projects (FM transmitters!)

-Ethan

Yeah, that's why I'm not doing this commercially--it oscillates in the low mHz range, so I'd have to demonstrate FCC compliance. Plus you can buy the Moog kit for $400, which seems to be a really nice instrument.

Heh heh, "Let there be Sound" ... it's about time you've got some :D
Looks cool.
I am still searching for a 'sound' in the post and no success :( . Any chances I can be sucessful some day? :)
btw! (by Somnium7) - "....you will never complete this project!!!"
- this is sooooooo true :D and YES, -until you die, that is. It's a Bug that gets you with no mercy , and it takes no prisoners.

Thanks for the advise on the mailing list. I've been looking at some lists trying to decide on the hughedt signal to noise ratio.

As for building - a LFO module comes to mind. Nice that dot.com sells blank panels.

I've been on the SDIY list since 1997 and I really don't have the words to express what a great bunch of people they are and how enormous their combined expertise is. Just a wealth of info and the best resource I know of for the subject matter. It is true that their are some serious doob smoking EE masterminds on the list too! ;)

As for LFOs try mine. It's got the economy of parts verses functionality as good as it gets. It's very thoroughly tested and a great performer. I based it on a simpler standard design you'll find all over the place.

Hahaha Dr Zee knows of the madness inducing effects of modular synthesis. I knew it. It's funny how junkies can recognize each other from a distance...:D:D

Attachments

• LFO1_rev1.gif
    LFO1_rev1.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
I've been on the SDIY list since 1997 and I really don't have the words to express what a great bunch of people they are and how enormous their combined expertise is. Just a wealth of info and the best resource I know of for the subject matter. It is true that their are some serious doob smoking EE masterminds on the list too! ;)

As for LFOs try mine. It's got the economy of parts verses functionality as good as it gets. It's very thoroughly tested and a great performer. I based it on a simpler standard design you'll find all over the place.

Hahaha Dr Zee knows of the madness inducing effects of modular synthesis. I knew it. It's funny how junkies can recognize each other from a distance...:D:D

Say, What schematic capture program did you use?

I'm looking for one (free - opensouurce)

--Ethan

That looks like expresspcb's tool . . . free but not open source. I loves me expresspcb myself, they do all my PCBs :)

You guessed it bro. :)
I use them too for my PCBs. In fact I have a PCB designed for the above schematic in ExpressPcb. Send me an IM if you would like the .pcb file for the LFO. The PCB is designed to take advantage of their "economy" three piece deal :D

You guessed it bro. :)
I use them too for my PCBs. In fact I have a PCB designed for the above schematic in ExpressPcb. Send me an IM if you would like the .pcb file for the LFO. The PCB is designed to take advantage of their "economy" three piece deal :D

Thanks, but I think I'm done with oscillators for the time being :o

I just got shipment notification on my last order. I submitted it Monday night, this was a ~$500 order for four-layer boards on their 10 day service, which gave me an estimated delivery of 12/8. They cranked it out in four :)

I wish I was actually that happy about it, but I know the real reason is manufacturers are hurting for business right now :( When I think about that, and all the DIY talent out there, and I think about people rushing to send hundreds of thousands elsewhere for broken gear . . . it's just sad, that's all :(

Anyway, this is my theremin board, as well as boards for two other products, so good news for me, I guess. Next up is a large order of parts from Lichtenstein, then those go off to a local company for powdercoating :cool:

I am mostly doing SMT boards now, as I crank up the parts count and try to keep costs down. My "standard" board is 0.75 square inches :eek: Which are panelized on a single board with 16 units each--about $1.50 per board!

Back