Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Peavey RAGE mod!

Thanks

Cool Extreme Peavey RAGE mod!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Earlier this month I got my inheritance early, my mom had an early-90s Peavey Rage 8" practice amp, which oddly enough she used as a PA for puppet shows

Since I am due to get a new guitar for Christmas (yes, the So-Cal), I thought if I was gonna use this thing, I was gonna need to hot-rod it.

So I popped that bad boy open, called Peavey and got the schematic. Here's what I found: the two channels run off 1/2 each of the usual 4558 opamp, the guitar pedal maker's favorite. On top of that, there is the standard diode arrangement on the lead channel. I started to wonder why the Peavey's infamous Saturation control sounds like such poo, given its not very unique selection of components. Certainly, the complete crap speaker the RAGE suffers with is part of the problem, but looking at the lead channel opamp gain, it seems that it ain't real long before the opamp is driven into disgusting clipping. I ain't no wizard of opamp gain calculations, but I think the gain maxed at something like 3000

Needless to say, the lead channel had to go. I've designed a replacement with a 12AX7 stage, the design largely stolen from a Fender Champ. Of course that necessitated a revised power supply. . .

The clean channel I'm leaving largely intact, except for a few component changes: OPA2134 for the 4558, and few capacitor upgrades. The goal of the hybrid design is to get a clean channel as squeaky clean as it can get, and a tube that can be moderately overdriven.

The other thing the amp needed was reverb. I scored a spring reverb unit from the manufacturer, which sells custom reverbs on eBay. Cool, as I could spec exactly what I wanted--a short delay reverb, perfect for my surf-style guitar

The circuit board has a bunch of empty holes and lonely traces, a brief review indicates that it was designed for a reverb. That makes my life a lot easier in modding, as I will use the space for the reverb drive & recovery as well as some of the tube interface. Most of the tube and high voltage PSU components are going on a DIY circuit board.

That's the plan, along with a new Eminence 8" speaker. I had some of the parts, including the tube and transformer, so my parts cost is around $100 so far.

Here's my schematic:

Thanks
    Now the fun stuff: it has to look the part too, matched up with the So-Cal The Peavey cheap black vinyl had to go, along with the cheesy pointy logo and aluminum strips.

I chose burgundy carpet and a turquoise-silver grill cloth. Tomorrow the speaker and grille cloth go on, but here's where I am right now:

Thanks
    Stay tuned for more updates! This weekend I'm starting work on the circuit boards, I'll post pictures as I go, and hopefully I'll finish by Christmas, then I'll post a clip with the new axe

Thanks
    you realize you are doomed to hell for buying that guitar right?

DOOMED.
    TO.
    HELL.

hey but that looks like a cool little amp project ..funny i have that same 158 staring at my from the corner of this room .

DDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED
    [url] http://www.myspace.com/blameamy[/url]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamal Bucket
    you realize you are doomed to hell for buying that guitar right?

DOOMED.
    TO.
    HELL.
    It'll be a gift

hey but that looks like a cool little amp project ..funny i have that same 158 staring at my from the corner of this room .
    Yeah? I could design a lot simpler mod if you are interested. And I will have leftover grille cloth

Thanks
    What's a so-cal? I must be really out of the loop.

That amp project is looking fun I've been dying to build one of thoose ax84 amps forever. The whole kit is like 200 bucks. But the total cost would probally be well over 300 or so. That seems like a lot of money to invest in something that I *hope* I can put together. Your project is looking good though. You'll have to post mp3's when you finish.

Where are you in N.C.? I'm right outside of Charlotte.
    [FONT=Fixedsys][size=5][color=dimgray][url]http://www.myspace.com/MiniMortem[/url][/color][/size][/FONT]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMasterWil
    What's a so-cal? I must be really out of the loop.

That amp project is looking fun I've been dying to build one of thoose ax84 amps forever. The whole kit is like 200 bucks. But the total cost would probally be well over 300 or so. That seems like a lot of money to invest in something that I *hope* I can put together. Your project is looking good though. You'll have to post mp3's when you finish.

Where are you in N.C.? I'm right outside of Charlotte.
    I'm in Kill Devil Hills. Hey, join the HRBBS Frappr!

http://www.frappr.com/hrbbs

Warning: timid guitarists should divert their eyes!

This is a So-Cal:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious
    It'll be a gift

Yeah? I could design a lot simpler mod if you are interested. And I will have leftover grille cloth

hell yeah !...actually i have often thought about covering the entire outside in aluminum plate ...back when i worked at a metal fab shop ..
    [url] http://www.myspace.com/blameamy[/url]

Thanks
    I like the guitar (As I stated in the flame socal thread before)...but have you tried it yet? Anybody know what it sounds like?

T
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetcrush
    Gbondo9, You're racist, rude, prejudice...in your latest posts you've made fun of black people, gay people, animals, and jehova's witnesses.

Thanks
    Nice project btw!! Ive dinked around with making a few easy distortion pedals, but I still have alot of trouble reading schmatics. Seems I have to re-read my books every time I want to do something new.
    You got any good suggestions for remembering and reading scematics?
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetcrush
    Gbondo9, You're racist, rude, prejudice...in your latest posts you've made fun of black people, gay people, animals, and jehova's witnesses.

Thread Information