Emu 1820m Dock Repair..?

Maybe there's a better way to approach this question.

Is the signal path
Analog device -> dock -> Lan cable -> PCI-card -> Computer -> Reaper+Patchmix?

I.E. Are reaper and patchmix both pieces of computer software which receive audio input via the same physical hardware chain?

Correct! :)
The OP is looking to buy a replacement cable?. (PM'd me.)

This is baffling me.

Is the signal path

I.E. Are reaper and patchmix both pieces of computer software which receive audio input via the same physical hardware chain?

Correct! :)
The OP is looking to buy a replacement cable?. (PM'd me.)

Yes, I can see signals on all the Patch Mix input inserted channel meters..!

That means it's definitely not a hardware issue then, no?

Sorry to be a broken record, particularly if I'm wrong, but I'd hate to see the OP hoke and poke at hardware if this is a software issue.

Maybe there's a better way to approach this question.

Is the signal path

Patchmix is the E-Mu mixer / virtual patch bay / DSP management tool for the pro audio interfaces in the 0202 through 1616 series (oddly enough i think the 1820 came before the 1616 - it does more but is in some ways inferior to the 1616).

Reaper seems to be DAW software that can use ASIO, while Patchmix is what you would use to assign physical inputs and outputs to ASIO channels. Among many other things you can do with Patchmix, all in the arena of routing audio and applying effects.

I would bet that a CAT6 ethernet cable would work between the E-MU digital card and the dock, but i haven't actually tried. I'm pretty sure the original cable is a cat5e cable with a ferrite bead on each end, but haven't inspected the termination closely to see how it is wired. I don't know the details of how audio is moved across that bus either.

Thank you for trying to help, Slim. I was, however, driving hard for a yes or no.

My point here is that this guy has water in the kitchen but not in the bathroom, so the valve in the road must be shut?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been here for a couple days. Health issues popped back up but I'm better now.:confused:...Ok, yes I was thinking that it may be the EDI cable..As far as it being software issue, it seems so strange that the front inputs would work and not the back if it is an issues by just clicking on the software..( could be wrong tho'..;)..I touched bases with member and get an exact cable that he say worked for him..It don't for me...But.......I wiggled it in the connector and there showed signal on the track that was armed momentarily..!..So you think it could be the connector on the circuit board itself..?..Anyone have an ideal where I may get a RJ-45 connector to fit on the circuit board of the 1820m or a link that I can get one or an old card laying around that don't work but has the connector on it..;)...Hey,do this jack be removed/installed just as normal thru hole components..? Thanks..!

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been here for a couple days. Health issues popped back up but I'm better now.:confused:...Ok, yes I was thinking that it may be the EDI cable..As far as it being software issue, it seems so strange that the front inputs would work and not the back if it is an issues by just clicking on the software..( could be wrong tho'..;)..I touched bases with member and get an exact cable that he say worked for him..It don't for me...But.......I wiggled it in the connector and there showed signal on the track that was armed momentarily..!..So you think it could be the connector on the circuit board itself..?..Anyone have an ideal where I may get a RJ-45 connector to fit on the circuit board of the 1820m or a link that I can get one or an old card laying around that don't work but has the connector on it..;)...Hey,do this jack be removed/installed just as normal thru hole components..? Thanks..!

You would find it very difficult to get a jack off another PCB and it still be in working order. I would try removing the solder from each pin in turn (use 'wick' NOT a sucker) and re-solder with fresh. I have no idea of your skill level but beware of 'blobbing' between pins and run JUST enough solder in to make a good joint, I bet that is doublesided, plated thru' print and solder can run thru and short.

If a re-solder does not fix it, take the time and the greatest care to de-solder the pins and remove the jack. You can then photograph it and hawk the picture around to peeps like Mouser, Rapid, CPC Farnell. RS Components have a chat line and might be able to help.

Jusfort..Is that a shielded jack,i.e. in a 'can'? If so you are going to have the devil's job getting it out intact.

Dave.

Hello..One more attempt..;).....I had a tech try and solder/resolder the jack to see if there was something there that may have cause this intermediate signal..He did as well, as put in caps also..He's s good tech( basically analog tho ')...When I plugged the EDI cable back in to power up the Dock, Nothing..!..The Dock is dead..What do you think went wrong here..?..As the tech farstated he is an analog tech as he design/build analog gear and we thought hey, it's a thru hole jack same as the caps, why not..Is this considered a digital component and what would be different about this jack installation wise, if so..?..Also, anyone up here can install this style jack as I have the unit taken apart down to the pcb board itself so no disassembly will be required..Thanks..!

Hello..One more attempt..;).....I had a tech try and solder/resolder the jack to see if there was something there that may have cause this intermediate signal..He did as well, as put in caps also..He's s good tech( basically analog tho ')...When I plugged the EDI cable back in to power up the Dock, Nothing..!..The Dock is dead..What do you think went wrong here..?..As the tech farstated he is an analog tech as he design/build analog gear and we thought hey, it's a thru hole jack same as the caps, why not..Is this considered a digital component and what would be different about this jack installation wise, if so..?..Also, anyone up here can install this style jack as I have the unit taken apart down to the pcb board itself so no disassembly will be required..Thanks..!

Any competent repair tech can re-solder an RJ45. "Analogue" or "digital" makes no diff. I suspect the jack is buggered. Get a lamp on it and see if the 8 pins are all level. Every PC has an Ethernet port so you can easily compare. Post a picky?

If it looks knackered, it should easily be within the capabilities of anyone handy with soldering PCBs to change it.

Dave.

Any competent repair tech can re-solder an RJ45. "Analogue" or "digital" makes no diff. I suspect the jack is buggered. Get a lamp on it and see if the 8 pins are all level. Every PC has an Ethernet port so you can easily compare. Post a picky?

If it looks knackered, it should easily be within the capabilities of anyone handy with soldering PCBs to change it.

Dave.

Thanks for the reply..Yeah as I figured..Question: Before I go the solder/ new jack route, do you think it may be the drivers..?..I mean I took the unit apart and put it back together before but I didn't have to re-install drivers to get it to light up even though it didn't work correctly..This time nothing lights up on the Dock..In Patch Mix,the screen shows up fine except the analog input channels ,it red out..Also, it reads " insuffient hardware to load up,etc."...I guess because the Dock is not on, huh..?..Thanks..

Back