Emu 1820m Dock Repair..?

Hi again snatchman,
Have you tried a new session?;View attachment 101941

The more I read the problem, the more it sounds like a routing one, If one input on the dock front is making it into Reaper but not the back dock imputs could it be that the dock inputs have become disconnected (Not physically!)but un-routed in the dock?,, Something that has happened to me quite a few times which is why I stick to my saved session!.

Hello..Thanks for the reply and pic..!..Yes, I've tried a new session also..Actually looks similar to your pic. On the physical route in Patchmix, what's the difference between having the mix box checked vs the monitor box checked..?..They have always seemed to do the same thing. I think I have all the mix box checked, not monitor..!..:eek:..

+1.
If you can see confirmation that audio, on all channels, is getting to Patchmix then you can rule out hardware completely, including cables.

Hello.Thanks for the reply.. Yes, I can see signals on all the Patch Mix input inserted channel meters..!..When I arm Reaper to record, nothing going to Reaper from the back of the Dock inputs. I plug into the one( A) front mic/line input( (B) 2 doesn't work), A works like a charm..!..So, I was thinking maybe the drivers in Patch mix may need to be reinstalled.What do you think..? Thanks..!

I think the problem is probably in Reaper.

Look though its hardware settings and see if there's a way to confirm, or reset, the I/O table.

I think the problem is probably in Reaper.

Look though its hardware settings and see if there's a way to confirm, or reset, the I/O table.

Thanks..Ok..Other than the Preferences in/out tabs, where would you suggest looking for something that needs ticking in software in Reaper?

Sorry, I don't really know Reaper,
but I think if you create a new track and click the drop down for source it should show you what's available.

If that doesn't match up with what you expect from your hardware then, I guess, either the wrong device is selected within Reaper settings,
or there's something else wrong. Hopefully a regular Reaper user can comment, if that's the case.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 14.49.35.png

Edit: Didn't see Jiff's reply above.

Sorry, I don't really know Reaper,
but I think if you create a new track and click the drop down for source it should show you what's available.

If that doesn't match up with what you expect from your hardware then, I guess, either the wrong device is selected within Reaper settings,
or there's something else wrong. Hopefully a regular Reaper user can comment, if that's the case.

View attachment 101955

Edit: Didn't see Jiff's reply above.
Thanks..I see Jiff's post also.Thanks.. I actually have this going on in Reaper. I can do all of this but it just won't input on a track in from the line input into Reaper when armed.( except the line/mic combo on the front panel..Confusing stuff..!..:confused:./..
So I'm led to believe now this may be something physical.Are those caps in the signal path going back to the computer..?..Every input shows signal in Patch mix but for some reason, they are not making it back to the input of Reaper. ( except the front panel input )

Hi Again,
Can you try in (pic 1)

pachmix 1.PNG

from the 3 top buttons on the left, the middle one (new session) & from the resulting page

Pachmix 2.PNG

select the one I've highlighted for your interface!, it's the one I use (except mine is 1616!) & delete the stips I don't use, but it all the available Ins/Outs on the interface?

It works fine on my system & it's worth a try on yours? :confused:

Every input shows signal in Patch mix but for some reason

We're talking in circles here.
To double/triple clarify.....
Patchmix is computer software right?

If it shows signal for all hardware inputs there is nothing wrong with your hardware. :)
Be happy and stop worrying about capacitors. :p

If you are able to see all the expected inputs in reaper, like the above picture (but unique to your interface), but you get no signal from them,
then I'd suspect patchmix is getting in the way. I don't like it but some manufacturer-specific software can do that.

Read its manual for info on routing - I've never used it, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
We're talking in circles here.
To double/triple clarify.....
Patchmix is computer software right?

If it shows signal for all hardware inputs there is nothing wrong with your hardware. :)
Be happy and stop worrying about capacitors. :p

If you are able to see all the expected inputs in reaper, like the above picture (but unique to your interface), but you get no signal from them,
then I'd suspect patchmix is getting in the way. I don't like it but some manufacturer-specific software can do that.

Read its manual for info on routing - I've never used it, I'm afraid.

Ok..Thanks.. I can understand the hardware in the Dock being good as everything seems to work inside that and going into Patch Mix. What about the PCI ( 1010 (?)) card in the computer..?..Maybe there's something going on on it that's the culprit since it is the closes to the harddrive where Patchmix is..?..BTW anyone have a 1010 card laying around..?..

If patchmix is software on the computer, and reaper is on the computer too, all hardware is 100% ruled out because you're seeing signals in patchmix.
Have I misunderstood the setup? Sorry if I have.

My understanding is this is the same as saying everything works perfectly in logic but not in protools; Is my interface broken?

Hello.Sorry I'm just getting back to this..You know, I think this may come down to the RJ-45 pcb connector itself.. I tried different cables and when I wiggle the cable in the jack, signal briefly shows up on the track.!..I tried cleaning the jack but no luck..Anyone know what part number this would be for the Emu and if so, where would I get a RJ-45 connector to work from..? Thanks again..!

Hello.Sorry I'm just getting back to this..You know, I think this may come down to the RJ-45 pcb connector itself.. I tried different cables and when I wiggle the cable in the jack, signal briefly shows up on the track.!..I tried cleaning the jack but no luck..Anyone know what part number this would be for the Emu and if so, where would I get a RJ-45 connector to work from..? Thanks again..!

RJ45 jacks rarely give trouble themselves, the network Co I worked for have a 15yr warranty on patch bays! I suspect you have a 'dry' aka 'cold' joint on the jack on the PCB. Sometimes the contacts in the jacks can get contaminated, have a good look with a light and a glass then Deoxit on a matchstick. Scrub gently.

There are many variants of the RJ45 jack so if Emu won't supply you could struggle to find the right one.

Dave.

RJ45 jacks rarely give trouble themselves, the network Co I worked for have a 15yr warranty on patch bays! I suspect you have a 'dry' aka 'cold' joint on the jack on the PCB. Sometimes the contacts in the jacks can get contaminated, have a good look with a light and a glass then Deoxit on a matchstick. Scrub gently.

There are many variants of the RJ45 jack so if Emu won't supply you could struggle to find the right one.

Dave.

I can't find the url right now, but i came across a blog post in some asian language where someone was repairing and upgrading an 1820M, and the RJ-45 was one of the things they replaced.

It might be worth it to try a different cable, and to try treating the jacks with deoxit.

I've got a 1616M here, but so far all my problems seem to have been driver or patchmix related.

I can't find the url right now, but i came across a blog post in some asian language where someone was repairing and upgrading an 1820M, and the RJ-45 was one of the things they replaced.

It might be worth it to try a different cable, and to try treating the jacks with deoxit.

I've got a 1616M here, but so far all my problems seem to have been driver or patchmix related.

Replacing the jack would of course fix any dodgy soldering!

Dave.

If this was disconnected, would PatchMix see audio signals?

with my 1616m, if the dock is disconnected or turned off when i boot up, patchmix says that i don't have enough hardware for the session i tried to load.

I don't know what it would do if some of the connection were intermittent

Maybe there's a better way to approach this question.

Is the signal path
Analog device -> dock -> Lan cable -> PCI-card -> Computer -> Reaper+Patchmix?

I.E. Are reaper and patchmix both pieces of computer software which receive audio input via the same physical hardware chain?

Back