DIY sub kick

JG96

i wana build a subkick kinda design i dont wana spend that much i have a 8 inch speaker from a broken amp. how would i go about building this? has anyone here done this before?

Yeah...I built one out of a cheap Radio Shack sub.

Not hard at all. The hard part is mounting it. I happened to have one of those adjustable armed snare stands that I collapsed to where the three arms cradled the speakers magnet, then zip tied it in place.

I took one of my XLR cables, chopped an end (make sure you pick the right end :D) and wired the + of the cable to the - on the speaker. Vice versa for the other and then took the common ground (probably just copper wire) and wired it straight to the speaker chassis. Take a file to the paint on the speaker if you need to...just to make sure you get a good connection.

One other thing that's a "must" is an inline pad. Maybe called an attenuator. I found one from Shure that's adjustable from -15, -20 and -25. The signal coming out of the subkick is HOT. You'll want to damp it down before it gets to the preamp.

I think I might still have some pics around if you're interested.

Peace.........Kel

Yup ... I did somethin' like it as well here at Ghostnote.
Well, it starts out with an internal mic mount and evolves to the sub-kick.
I'm still dinkin' with it.

I mounted the speaker for my subkick in an old 10in Tom I had ...
I left the skin on it but tuned it really low and mounted the speaker in the tom on the open side ...
I mounted the speaker in the tom useing some elastic bands , sort of like a shock mount for a mic ....
I drilled a hole in the tom and mounted a XLR Jack , I then mounted the tom on an old cymbol stand and put it in front of the hole in my Bass drum .....

At First i had problems with my Preamp oscilateing because of the Low 4 ohm source impedance so I connected a center tapped 1/100 audio transformer to the speaker and then to the XLR and it worked perfectly .....

It sounds good but I only used an 8 in speaker and think a bigger speaker would sound better and I used a subwoofer which seems to put out a frequency that is too low for my likeing ....

Cheers

thanks everyone this now seems like a very easy project and fun too wheres a good place to buy a drum shell to mount it in though

SWEET! Can't wait to get this project going. Should be a fun one for us this winter break. I'll post updates and how it went once were up and running with it.

Look under the microphone forum under "home made sub kick mic" a lot of pictures and a lot of helpful info. I believe that it is still on the first page.

:cool:

I put the Pearl mesh heads on mine. They let the sound through, and protect the driver as well. I knocked the grommet out of the shell, and a 1/4" jack fit perfectly in there. You might need the jack to have a long thread, but those are available easily enough. What else? The tom mount can fit on a desk top mic stand. Or just chop a junk mic stand down. If worse comes to worse, remove the tom mount and put some kind of plate on there that can accept an arm, a stand, whatever you conceive. That's the only difficult part. The rest is a piece of cake.

th_subkick3.gif

th_subkick2.gif

Back