Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIY Plate Reverb

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Before the internet, I had seen pics of Plate Reverb units. Never got to see the real one, though I got to see the "room" it was kept in and we got to use it.

As i recall, it wasn't super duper for an overall mix but was great for some individual parts.

Seems to me the transducers (speaker and pickup) were mounted in opposite corners. Attached directly to the plate, not on stand-offs away from the plate.

Further, they were 4X8 plates as they found anything smaller than 6 feet produced very unnatural cancellations... or something. It's a bit foggy. It also occurs that these were darned heavy plates: like 3/8inch or maybe 1/4.

Of course, it depends on the sound you want. Anyway, that's about what i can remember of my experience.

Thanks
    The spring reverb tank in my old G60t amp is driven by what is basically an auto stereo amp chip. You can get something that will probably work from someplace like Parts Express: Speakers, Amplifiers, Audio Parts and Solutions
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    The spring reverb tank in my old G60t amp is driven by what is basically an auto stereo amp chip. You can get something that will probably work from someplace like Parts Express: Speakers, Amplifiers, Audio Parts and Solutions
    Indeed. YEEOnks ago I build son a small battery amp for busking in Paris (as y'do). Stereo car graphic EQ and booster. Put out about 5W per so I used a Tl072 to drive each side out of phase and turned it into a bridge mode amp. Had a gash 6" speaker about and that was pretty loud powered from a 12 V Sealed Lead Acid.

Lasted about a month and then it and a bloody red guitar got nicked!

Dave.

Thanks
    Iíve built a similar plate reverb, a bit smaller, probably about 3í by 4í. I just use a little Radio Shack amp to drive it in the middle, and a piezo on each end goes straight into my interface. I just put an eq on my master bus and set up a mix that I think will play well on the plate, usually cutting any boominess and boosting mid highs. Once Iíve sent that mix to the plate and recorded it to a new track (which was muted while being recorded) I disable the eq and mix the plate sound into my mix. My whole plate rig was made out of junk I had on hand and was really just an experiment, but it works so well and is so fun to play with that itís become a permanent fixture

Thanks
    actually sounds amazing!
    thanks for sharing

Thread Information