Diy phantom powered condenser mics

DIYCM

If you want to build a condenser mic, and want/need it to run on phantom power, then check out www.diycondensermics.com.

There are detailed schematics, a step by step build page, and a good parts list.

not including the enclosure or body, they only cost about $20! They are not as good as some of the expensive condensers, but they sound pretty darn good.

http://www.diycondensermics.com

Dude, I don't know what to do with you. Problem is you're a spammer. Second problem is I'm a moderator with a huge conflict of interest.

So instead of deleting your thread, I'm just going to have to point out all the flaws in your schematics.

Like this one:

http://www.diycondensermics.com/images/schem1.jpg

OK, C3 and C4 are way too small, they would give you a corner frequency of 159Hz into 1Kohm. D1 is drawn backwards, it will cause the circuit to not work. C1 is way too small to properly filter the noise of D1 (once corrected). In your 9V battery/phantom schemo, replace the switch with a diode. I'll leave it to you to figure out which way that diode goes.

Try reading this page, which you linked on your website--it has the original functional version of the circuit you are trying to build:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#phantom

Now, raise your game and try to contribute without spamming, dig?

Just checking back to see if you'd changed your schematics, but not yet. In the process, I realized that I didn't pay very close attention to your 9V schematic. What exactly is R6 supposed to be doing? Loading down the capsule is all as far as I can see. And you should supply the 9V (across a diode) to the R2/C1 junction instead of straight to the capsule. That way you don't unbalance the microphone output, which is what happens the way you have it drawn.

Oh, and on your parts list, none of these resistors need to be 1/2W. 1/8W will do just fine.

Some answers for your forum:

mic + goes to XLR pin 3 because the signal is inverted off that pin of the capsule (the FET drain). The "ground" pin of the capsule is the FET source, that is noninverted. So if you want to maintain proper polarity of the signal, you need those connections as shown.

HOWEVER, there are a few capsule models out there which bizarrely enough are reverse polarity. There aren't many, but it's always worth a test to ensure you have polarity for that capsule correct.

And the zener diode is indeed a regulator (in correct orientation). It will let enough current flow through it to keep its cathode (reverse wired) 12V above its anode. Given the 22K resistors, 6k8 phantom resistors, and 48V, that's (48-12) / (14400) = 2.5mA. The capsule will draw around 0.5mA, so that's 2mA loss through the zener. Sounds wasteful, but it allows the mic to stay at the regulated 12V at lower phantom supply voltages.

If you wire it the wrong way it will act as a regular diode, which is to say you'll have a power rail of 0.6V, for a current of 3.3mA. The capsule won't be very happy that low, so I expect you've wired it correctly but drawn it incorrectly.

You the man MS. Seriously, you could just have deleted the post, but you went on to critique the mans product, but in a insightful helpful way. Just shows the kind of guy you are.
icon14.gif

p.s. my XQ's still sound good. ;)

You the man MS. Seriously, you could just have deleted the post, but you went on to critique the mans product, but in a insightful helpful way. Just shows the kind of guy you are.
icon14.gif

p.s. my XQ's still sound good. ;)

Yeah, well unfortunately the dude is obviously a link farmer since he never came back here, and he hasn't fixed his schematics either. So I don't think he's learned anything about electronics or netiquette.

Back